AVP, Product Control - Linear Rates Valuations
- Permanent, Full time
- 22 Aug 17
AVP, Product Control - Linear Rates Valuations
Barclays is a transatlantic consumer, corporate and investment bank offering products and services across personal, corporate and investment banking, credit cards and wealth management, with a strong presence in our two home markets of the UK and the US.
With over 325 years of history and expertise in banking, Barclays operates in over 40 countries and employs approximately 130,000 people. Barclays moves, lends, invests and protects money for customers and clients worldwide . Please visit our website here for more information.
Product Control-Valuations is a control function responsible for providing independent oversight of the fair values associated with the firm's trading portfolios. Primary duties include performing regular independent price verification, providing oversight of provision and reserve methodologies and regular measurement and reporting of Regulatory Prudent Valuations.
Overall purpose of role
- Provide effective valuation control and oversight for the APAC Rates Flow, EM Rates and Treasury businesses. Business area coverage may be changed to fulfil any new requirements on the team.
- Proactively communicate insights, observations and escalations regarding the valuation control environment for the above-mentioned businesses to managers and other stakeholders.
- Collaborating closely with the Chennai, London and New York Rates PC-Valuations teams, ensure the valuation control environment is operating effectively across APAC Rates and Treasury business lines on an ongoing basis, including but not limited to regular IPV and FVA processes and controls.
- Provide valuations oversight and monitoring for APAC Rates and Treasury Business lines;
- Proactively escalate gaps or weaknesses in valuation controls.
- Provide independent valuations oversight, challenge, review, analysis, reporting and ad hoc investigations, covering the full spectrum of products and valuation control processes in these business lines.
- Proactively provide both support and challenge to the regional APAC Rates traders on an ongoing basis.
- Proactively identify, promote and implement enhancements to the regional and global Rates PC-Valuations control environment.
- Address questions or requests from BIA, Risk & Controls team or Regulators as required.
- Provide concise and informative written and verbal updates, explanations, commentaries or other forms of information as required.
- Apply technical skills and knowledge of complex derivative products in performing the role.
- Proactively collaborate and communicate with other control functions such as Risk and PC-Line.
- Provide support for PC-Vals APAC regional reporting and oversight.
Stakeholder Management and Leadership
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with stakeholders and colleagues from within and outside the PC-Valuations function, regionally and globally.
- Confident at discussing issues or presenting material to senior individuals in the Organisation, both from the trading Business, PC and other functions.
- Ability to provide lucid and informative explanations of technical subjects in a manner which can be understood by both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Proactive approach to identifying areas of IPV or FVAs requiring further investigation, enhancement, disclosure or escalation.
- Proactive approach to communication with managers and stakeholders.
- Hard working, professional team player with good time management skills and can do attitude.
- Enough confidence to make decisions, balanced with an awareness of when to escalate or consult more senior colleagues before acting upon a decision.
- Methodical approach to investigations and problem solving.
- Degree in a numerical discipline preferred
- Professional accounting or risk qualification is an advantage.
- Technical understanding of vanilla derivatives (swaps, futures and forwards etc) essential.
- Advanced Excel and VBA skills essential.
- Ability to summarize information and articulate key points in writing/verbally critical.
- Technical understanding of complex derivatives (Options on derivatives & Bermudan products etc) will be an advantage.
- Prior experience with market data (Bloomberg, Reuters, Markit & Totem etc) will be an advantage.
Risk and Control Objective
All Barclays colleagues have to ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards
Our customers deserve the best. The same goes for our employees. That's why at Barclays you'll receive a range of benefits that include a competitive salary and all the tools, technology and support you need to succeed.
Everything we do is shaped by the five values of Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship. The values inform the foundations of our relationships with customers and clients, but they also shape how we measure and reward the performance of our employees. Simply put, success is not just about what you achieve, but about how you achieve it.
Dynamic working gives everyone at Barclays the opportunity to integrate professional and personal lives, if you have a need for flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager.
Barclays is an equal opportunity employer and are opposed to discrimination on any grounds. For more detailed information, please visit our dedicated Diversity and Inclusion site here .