Fund and Asset Management – Associate Director - London
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Fitch Ratings
- 11 Jan 17
The Fund and Asset Manager Rating Group is focused on providing investors with timely, prospective and informative ratings and related research on the asset management industry. The group’s activities are wide ranging, with a primary focus on rating money market funds and associated cash management products such as ultra-short duration bond funds. The group also assigns qualitative ratings to funds and investment managers and is expanding its rating activity in closed-end alternative & structured funds. The Group currently maintains more than 800 ratings worldwide. The EMEA and APAC team is based in London, Paris and Shanghai, comprising seven analysts.
We are looking for an associate director to join our London team, to focus on rating funds and asset managers and to produce industry research. The successful applicant will:
- Contribute to the group’s core collective objective of maintaining and assigning high quality, timely, prospective ratings to a diverse range of closed- and open-ended investment funds and asset managers
- Diligently and dispassionately apply Fitch’s rating criteria in reaching robust rating recommendations while fully complying with all of Fitch’s applicable policies and procedures.
- Assume primary analyst responsibility for a portfolio of ratings, increasing in size and complexity over time, based on Fitch’s established rating methodologies and processes
- Lead rated entity meetings, interacting with senior personnel (CEOs, CIOs, portfolio managers, research analysts etc)
- Conduct periodic monitoring on Fitch rated funds, including timely identification of relevant trends, outliers and events and implement appropriate follow-up actions with rated entities and other team members
- Produce timely, relevant and insightful industry research reports, including media and public speaking engagements
- Support and guide the development of more junior members of the team
- Participate in the rating criteria review and development process
- Enhance and develop tools to support the analysis, monitoring and reporting processes
- Other ad-hoc requests
Qualifications and experience:
Candidates must have a strong educational background (2:1 or equivalent or better from a leading university) and proven industry experience. Experience should be relevant, acquired at a rating agency, an asset manager or consultancy / accountancy firm with a focus on asset management; however, other backgrounds may be relevant provided the candidate can demonstrate sufficient aptitude in the other capabilities detailed below and clear motivation to work in the asset management sector. Fluency in English is a prerequisite.
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following required characteristics:
- A strong background knowledge of and interest in the asset management industry
- Intellectual curiosity; a thirst to understand the investment decisions made by rated funds and asset managers, their behaviour and the environment in which they operate
- Demonstrable ability to “think analytically”: apply methodologies appropriately and insightfully in reaching structured decisions
- Attention to detail
- The capacity to work independently with minimal supervision
- Team work: able to work collaboratively as part of a multi-cultural and multi-location team
- The ability to cope with time pressure and deadlines
- Demonstrable verbal and written communication skills, including experience of writing documents for publication and of leading internal / external meetings.
- Experience of data gathering from multiple sources and compilation of novel research through researching varied underlying data sources
- Strong numerical / data management skills
- A high level of proficiency in using Microsoft Excel
- A good working knowledge of Bloomberg and other market data sources
And the following desirable characteristics:
- Additional language skills (in particular French)
- Knowledge of alternative investment funds or structured institutional funds
- Successful completion of, or progress towards, professional qualifications such as the CFA
- Able to write macros in visual basic for Excel
- Other programming skills eg SQL, C++
- Public speaking experience
- Experience of using Lipper for Investment Management
Given the requirement for rating agencies to provide independent opinions, strength of character and discipline is required and you must be able to appreciate the wider regulatory environment in which Fitch operates. The role will require some travel.