Site Reliability Engineers - Load Balancing
Calling all Site Reliability Engineers! Do you want to be part of an innovative and highly collaborative environment? Are you looking for a role with ownership and the ability to work across many teams in one of the fastest growing organizations?
At Amazon Web Services (AWS), we are obsessed with helping customers revolutionize the way they build and run their applications, helping them bring their ideas to market faster and at a lower cost. Our Load Balancing team is responsible for scaling and operating the most critical load balancing services for all Amazon businesses, and our Sydney team is looking for Systems Development Engineers and Software Development Engineers!
What you will do?
You will build tools and services to automate operational and business practices at massive scale. You will have the unique opportunity to shape the development of our load balancing platform used by nearly all Amazon teams. You will focus on delivering on Amazon's hardest problems, developing several features by building high quality, architecturally sound systems. You will lead the implementation for mission critical tooling and abstract away complex workflows enabling our customers to safely operate the world's most scalable infrastructure.
• Build automation tools and services that enhance operational workflows at huge scale
• Streamline application deployment and configuration processes
• Become a subject matter expert and configure and troubleshoot hardware load balancers
• Troubleshoot Linux OS, network, and application layer issues
• Be a technology evangelist and use your deep knowledge to solve business problems
• Collaborate with software development teams to improve and optimize the Amazon ecosystem
• Develop appropriate metrics to demonstrate performance and operational efficiency
• Mentor peers in your areas of technical and operational strength
• Participate in the interviewing process
• Support an engagement only pager rotation including weekends and holidays
Why it matters
Amazon's Load Balancing team is responsible for scaling and operating the most critical load balancing services for all Amazon businesses. Our customers demand the highest levels of security and availability to power mission critical services, including Amazon's Retail Websites and AWS Services (e.g. DynamoDB, Kinesis, Alexa). As we expand at a tremendous rate, we look for innovative ways to build, automate and scale our load balancing platform, and are responsible for providing significantly improved performance, reliability, control, and visibility for Amazon's global network.
Why you will love it
You will work with engineers across the company to build tools and services for Amazon's next-generation infrastructure. You will have a direct impact on our bottom line and the ability to deliver improvements for all Amazon developers. You will become a subject matter expert and configure and troubleshoot hardware load balancers and be part of a growing, fast paced, and fun team. Having ownership for the implementation of your work, you will be part of the development effort from conception through production. You will see direct product improvements based on the results of your work. You will shape AWS!
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age Basic Qualifications
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
• 4+ years of experience as a Systems Engineer, Software Engineer or similar role
• Strong understanding and skill with Unix/Linux
• Ability to program in at least one structured language such as Python, Perl, Java or C/C++
• Good understanding of standard network protocols (Ethernet, ARP, IP, ICMP, UDP, TCP, SNMP, TACACS, RADIUS, SSL, DNS, HTTP, etc.)
• Strong knowledge of IP networking fundamentals and experience with the application of IP protocols
• Recognize and adopt best practices in documentation, testing, security, operational support at scale, and efficient use of resources
• Understand how commodity servers, operating systems and network devices function, perform and scale Preferred Qualifications
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience with DevOps tools, processes, and culture
• Bias for automation and orchestration of processes
• Previous experience with configuration management (e.g. automated provisioning and remote configuration of software, hosts and/or network devices)
• Strong Build Systems and processes knowledge
• Experience with capacity planning, utilization review and performance monitoring
• Familiarity with Load Balancers, Routers and Firewalls
Experience with major internet routing protocols; specifically BGP and OSPF