The Head of Human Resources drives the overall effectiveness of the HR function in order to ensure a customer centric delivery service, including recruitment, retention, compensation and benefits management, employee relations, policies & procedures, performance, management, training, talent management, succession planning and Head Office support of the business and overseas units by directing the relationship management responsibilities as assigned under the matrix structure.
The Head of HR is the first point of contact with the Central Bank of Bahrain for all personnel-related matters, handles all type of employee leavers (regret and non-regret), and oversees the Staff Savings Scheme in coordination with the appointed trustee.
The Head of HR also carries primary responsibility for managing and driving cost savings and efficiencies through oversight of the overall HR budget.
Principal Responsibilities, Accountabilities and Deliverables of Role:
- Supports the CEO and senior management in the implementation of all strategy and change management initiatives relevant to the HR function.
- Ensures activities are delivered professionally and by deadline
- Ensures effective performance management is in place and reviews are conducted in accordance with policy and procedure.
- Reviews compensation systems and proposes changes required to inculcate a culture of performance management within the company and ensure that the company stays competitive to market.
- Provides guidance so that salary and bonus review is subsequently possible on an equitable basis. Ensures market data is collected through salary survey every two years
- Drives efficiency savings in HR function. Assesses needs and re-aligns resources as needed in order to achieve the most cost-effective outcome
- Provides consultation on HR policies and procedures to line management and individual staff members about personnel issues and ensures equality and consistency in the management of people
- Maintains updated knowledge base and ensures that HR policies and procedures manual are in place and compliant with the Labour Law of the Kingdom of Bahrain
- Provides guidance to HR staff and line management in the application of employee relations policies and procedures and ensures that actions are in compliance with internal policies and procedures and the laws of Bahrain, including the employment law.
- Maintains open door policy and timely response to situations so as to prevent escalation
- Maintains compliance with the regulatory requirements of the Central Bank of Bahrain
- Serves as first point of contact for CBB and ensures compliance with requirements on recruitment, remuneration and reporting
- Maintains comprehensive tracking system and ensures timely follow up on issues
- Works with Legal to prepare contracts for senior executives
- Prepares contracts in line with compensation sheet, maintaining total confidentiality
- Acts as the first point of contact with Ministry of Labour, LMRA, GOSI, CBB
- Maintains network of professional contacts through regular open communication channels
- Carries oversight of Staff Loans Policy - Reviews and approves or rejects applications for staff loans
- Is responsible for maintaining confidentiality of HR function - Authorises and oversees access to filing room to ensure confidentiality is not breached
- Directs oversight of Payroll and automated employee attendance and leave systems
- Oversees staff responsible for these functions and serves as point of reference for resolving any issues
- Is responsible for either handling directly or supervising employee discipline, conflict and complaint matters
- Maintains an open door policy and tries to resolve issues prior to escalation
- Ensures strict adherence to policy if matter escalates
- Directs changes to existing employee benefits and allowance
- Ensures policies are kept updated and liaises with other departments to relay relevant approvals
- Oversees employee redundancy, resignation or retirement matters
- Ensures procedure is followed and terminal benefits are calculated correctly
Job Context (circumstances & environment surrounding the job):
- The job holder works closely with HODS and line managers to ensure the HR team provides comprehensive HR services.
- Initiates processes and procedures ensuring that HR practices are within the company’s HR policies and procedures.
- Participates in the provision of hands-on focus in terms of delivering HR solutions to business & support units.
- Ensures that existing and new HR policies and procedures comply with Central Bank regulations and the Bahrain Labour Law. The job holder proposes and recommends policies and procedures for the implementation of HR best practice.
- The most demanding part of this job is to ensure consistency and apply fair and equitable treatment and to maintain high confidentiality on HR issues.
- Substantial experience in general human resources or related work, with an emphasis in organizational design and planning, employment, labor law, employee relations, compensation, and benefits.
- Must be thoroughly familiar with local labor and employment law and practices.
- Complete and thorough understanding of international management standards and principles.
- Thoroughly knowledgeable in various international human resources standards in the areas of compensation, employee relations, general benefits, employment and staffing practices, and organizational development.
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills.
- Must be able to work effectively with all levels of the organization, including top, middle and supervisory levels of management.
- Effective interpersonal and negotiation skills. Collaborative work style, fostering cooperation and teamwork to achieve results.
- Able to exercise discretion and good judgment, with an ability to understand the effect of decisions overall in the company.
- Able to handle confidential company and employee information with complete discretion.
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to extract, compile and analyses data. Advanced verbal and written communications skills in English.
Education / Certifications
- Minimum university degree in human resources, business administration, behavioral science, or management.
- A minimum of 10 – 12 years of experience within the HR field
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal, analytical and IT skills
- Adequate knowledge about the banking products & services
- Solid interpersonal and communications skills with the ability to negotiate internally and externally at high levels
- In-depth knowledge of internal policies and procedures, regulatory requirements and understanding of core business operational functions
- Willingness to make decisions, exhibit sound and accurate judgment and make timely decisions
- Professional, confidential, ethical and diplomatic attitude under all circumstances
- Ability to handle very sensitive issues with diplomacy and under pressure
- In-depth knowledge of Bahrain Labour Law