This is a high profile and critically important role within the organization. The successful applicant will make a significant contribution to the bottom-line financial performance of the organization Acquiring (across group companies) and will have regular exposure to the executive management team. In summary, the role holder will monitor, manage, optimise and report on interchange and scheme fees, manage the organization’ relationship with the international card schemes, be involved in merchant profitability assessment & pricing and undertake other adhoc activities that contribute to improved financial performance.
- To optimise interchange fee qualification to ensure that the organization does not pay more interchange fees to Issuers than is necessary.
- To monitor movements in the blended average interchange fee rates for different geographies and explain movements to executive management.
- To maintain and enhance the transaction data repository, used for examination and optimization of interchange fees
- To use the data repository to analyse and assess individual merchant profitability
- To review scheme fee billing statements for accuracy, inter alia:
- take remedial action for any errors in billing and
- take appropriate action for payments for products or services that are not being used
- liaise with the schemes where flaws are identified in the fee rate construct or mandated fees are levied where it is considered inequitable.
- To lead the organization’ relationships with the international card schemes and together with the senior management team define, and execute on, our strategy with each scheme and agree tactical initiatives between the parties that are mutually beneficial
- To leverage the organization group presence in the territories we operate in to gain scheme incentives that help grow the organization volumes
- To conduct regular, periodic meetings with the schemes to ensure agreed strategic and tactical initiatives remain on track, proposing remedial measures if/where needed.
Competencies & Skills Required:
- Good communicator (written and verbal)
- Good interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of Card Payment systems (FSS, V+, ACI Postillion is an advantage)
- The ability to interrogate Card Payment systems for detailed transaction data is an advantage
- Sound business acumen
- Wide ranging knowledge of the Card Payments Industry and how it functions
- Hard working, diligent and tenacious with a ‘can do’ attitude
- A practical and structured approach to work
- Excellent excel & analytical skills and a head for figures
- Able to work with minimal supervision to achieve results
- Bottom line financial performance driven
- Degree in Banking, Finance, or relevant field is an advantage
- Good knowledge and understanding of card payments, activities, processes, services and solutions
- Understanding of Visa & Mastercard rules and interchange fee framework.
- 3+ years’ minimum experience in cards/financial services
- Background in IT is an advantage
- Commercial awareness
- Good influencing, relationship building, and communication skills
- Good negotiation skills