Senior Auditor – Banking Operations
- Manama, Capital Governorate, Bahrain
- Permanent, Full time
- Arab Banking Corporation
- 22 May 19
To support Group Audit in providing assurance to Senior Management and the Audit Committee on the adequacy and effectiveness of internal controls primarily related to all aspects of Wholesale Banking operations and risk management. It includes: Delivery of audit assignments in line with the annual plan and scope. Providing ongoing business monitoring, risk assessment and input to the annual audit plan. Managing relationships within the organization or external parties. Adhering to and contributing for the maintenance of Audit methodology, practices and supporting tools.
Know your business
- Monitor business activity to identify any changes in risk profiles or deterioration in control environment and updating audit risk assessment and plans to align with emerging risks/control issues – these can be achieved through activities such as regular meetings with local heads of functions / departments;
- Keep abreast of new laws, regulations, rules, Group and local policies, products, technologies and projects and consider implications.
Maintain the Audit Universe
- Support the team in maintaining a structured inventory of auditable entities representing the total population of local divisions, functions, departments, branches and representative offices.
Develop the Annual Audit Plan
- Support the development of the Annual Audit Plan based on risk assessment taking into account business monitoring activities and specific requests from Management.
Deliver the Annual Audit Plan
- Perform audit assignments in line with the approved Annual Audit Plan, on time and within budget.
Adhere to audit standards and requirements
- Adhere to Group Audit and international standards and requirements related to code of ethics, principles, staffing, methodology and the quality of work papers, deliverables and reporting.
Manage relationship with key stakeholders
- Maintain an appropriate, pro-active, constructive and balanced relationship with local Management; supporting Group Audit in the fulfillment of obligations and responsibilities in respect of governance, risk management and internal controls.
Maintain the local Corrective Action Tracking process
- Support Group Audit with pro-active and effective tracking / monitoring of progress achieved with the implementation of agreed corrective action plans related to audit reports published.
Manage self-career development
- Pursue continuous development of knowledge, skills, experience and professional certifications to support Internal Audit responsibilities. Seek coaching and mentoring with more senior colleagues whenever required for career development and achieving greater responsibilities in future.
Job Context (Circumstances & environment surrounding the job):
Group Audit (GA) consists of a Bahrain-based team plus local Internal Audit teams based in overseas units of ABC. GA is responsible for providing independent assurance on the adequacy and effectiveness of ABC’s internal controls to the Executive Management and the Board of ABC (via the Audit Committee). This is achieved by completing Audit assignments according to a risk-based Annual Audit Plan. The results of the Audit assignments are included within published Audit Reports which contain audit issues requiring management to undertake corrective actions to address any control weaknesses identified. Issues are also presented to the Audit Committee of the Board of ABC on a quarterly basis.
Given the nature of GA’s role within the business, the job holder is expected to uphold the highest standards of integrity and confidentiality at all times. The volume, importance and confidentiality of the material with which the job holder will deal with will require a strong sense of discretion and the ability to organize and present material in a structured way.
Group Audit staffs liaise with individuals at all levels within the organization, including Executive Management and Board members. The job holder will be required to conduct all interactions with courtesy, respect and professionalism.
- Thorough understanding of wholesale banking products, services, processes and related risks and controls, in special credit, trade and treasury;
- Subject Matter Expertise in auditing (or working experience) in one or more areas in Operations (Middle/Back Office); Accounts Payable, Premises & Engineering, Project Management, Operational Risk Management;
- Hands-on practice with risk-based auditing methodologies, international standards and processes; and strong understanding of corporate governance and the 3 lines of defence model;
- Strong data analysis and/or technical skills to analyse complex business data utilizing automated tools and help identify problems would be an advantage. Knowledge of audit software (Teammate, BWise, IDEA, ACL) is also beneficial;
- Strong knowledge base of banking regulations, preferably the Central Bank of Bahrain;
- Fluent in English (and a second language is desirable: Arabic or French)
Education / Qualifications
- University degree preferably in business, finance, economics, accounting, banking, auditing, risk management or related subjects. Preferably post-graduated;
- Desirable possessing relevant professional certification such as CIA, CPA, ACCA, CMA, CFE, FRM, etc.
- Preferably 5 to 10 ten years within Banking and at least 5 years internal audit experience.
- Proven experience in the identification and assessment of risks and controls related to Banking Operations & Technology
- Familiarity with and exposure to different audit methodologies and with workflow-based audit software e.g. Nasdaq BWise, Teammate
- Development and delivery of presentations to senior audience.