Who we are looking for
We are looking for bright, enthusiastic and hard-working individuals with a keen interest in learning about and accounting for complex investment transactions and structures in a dynamic, challenging and fast-paced work environment. Your success will be facilitated by the leading-edge technology infrastructure supported by well-developed procedures and controls. We offer you a challenging career in a rapidly expanding international company with a professional, yet casual, work environment. Why this role is important to us
The team you will be joining is a part of State Street Global Services (SSGS). SSGS gives asset owners and managers access to the essential financial tools they need to deliver effective investment solutions. From core custody, accounting, fund administration and shareholder recordkeeping, to complete operations solutions and servicing for alternative assets like OTC derivatives, private equity and real estate, SSGS' tools help our clients make better investment choices and act on growth opportunities.
Join us if making your mark in the financial services industry from day one is a challenge you are up for. What you will be responsible for
As Hedge Fund Accountant
What we value
- Complete the daily monitoring and review of fund activities (trades, cash, income and expenses, etc.) to ensure accurate NAV reporting;
- Monitor and review of trial balance, income statement and capital statements for complex fund structures and Offshore funds with alternative asset strategies
- Monitor and review partner/shareholder allocation calculations, including management fees and incentive fees
- Lead the month end book closing process
- Review of cash and securities reconciliations for prime broker accounts
- Assist in new business setup and conversions;
- Assist in reviewing expense analyses to ensure accruals align with client approved expense budget;
- Work with other services departments to resolve errors/issues or to reconcile discrepancies;
- During the course of normal day to day operation, responsible for identifying any unusual or potentially suspicious transaction activity and must report and/or escalate in accordance with corporate policy and guidelines detailed in relevant operating procedures;
- Report any potentially material valuation or client servicing issues to the Supervisor and/or Manager in a timely manner;
- Ensure standard procedures and controls are adhered to;
- Initiate, propose and implement improvements to enhance efficiencies and accuracy when see fit;
- Liaise with investment managers, prime brokers and auditors;
- Assist in the training and development of Investment Accountants, observe and provide feedback to Supervisor and/or Manager; and
- Ongoing personal education and development by attendance of State Street training sessions.
These skills will help you succeed in this role
Education & Preferred Qualifications
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Confident and decisive
- Ambitious and energetic
- Strong work ethic - flexible and adaptable
- Can-do attitude with high energy
- Self-motivated with a passion for learning and growth
About State Street What we do.
- Must have a College diploma or university degree with concentration in Accounting, Finance or Economics
- Some Accounting experience in Hedge Funds, Offshore funds and/or Alternative Investment Strategies required; State Street operational experience preferred
- Completion of the Canadian Securities Course (CSC) an asset
- Knowledge in Accounting for Mutual Funds, Hedge Funds, complex fund structures and Alternative Investments Strategies including an understanding of various financial instruments
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel/Word and Bloomberg
- Overtime may be required
State Street is one of the largest custodian banks, asset managers and asset intelligence companies in the world. From technology to product innovation we're making our mark on the financial services industry. For more than two centuries, we've been helping our clients safeguard and steward the investments of millions of people. We provide investment servicing, data & analytics, investment research & trading and investment management to institutional clients. Work, Live and Grow.
We make all efforts to create a great work environment. Our benefits packages are competitive and comprehensive. Details vary in locations, but you may expect generous medical care, insurance and savings plans among other perks. You'll have access to flexible Work Program to help you match your needs. And our wealth of development programs and educational support will help you reach your full potential. Inclusion, Diversity and Social Responsibility.
We truly believe our employees' diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspective are a powerful contributor to creating an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive and reach their maximum potential while adding value to both our organization and our clients. We warmly welcome the candidates of diverse origin, background, ability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and personality. Another fundamental value at State Street is active engagement with our communities around the world, both as a partner and a leader. You will have tools to help balance your professional and personal life, paid volunteer days, matching gift program and access to employee networks that help you stay connected to what matters to you.
State Street is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Discover more at StateStreet.com/careers