Head of Operational Risk
We are seeking an experienced Head of Operational Risk to lead our Operational Risk Function to build upon and enhance our existing processes to help foster a positive Operational Risk culture across our businesses.
This role will be centred on our Irish entities Mediolanum International Life Ltd & Mediolanum International Funds Ltd. and on ensuring that the Operational Risk framework for both entities aligns with industry best practice.
The successful candidate will already have gained significant experience in risk and control matters and who can display skill, energy and enthusiasm so as to gain a rapid understanding of the operational risk and control aspects of our different business lines, and to be part of a small team implementing our risk strategy and philosophy across the organisation. Duties
• Ownership of the Operational Risk Framework and building upon the existing processes to enhance and further embed the culture and governance pertaining to operational risk within the business
• Identifying how risks are managed and appropriate policies are implemented throughout the Company. Assist the lines of business with analysis, expertise, and problem solving as well as providing oversight
• Conduct Op risk audits of key business functions across both entities and ensure that a robust operational control framework is in place to appropriate manage operational risks. Carry out risk audits in a risk-based manner across the business.
• Lead Root Cause Analyses of operational risk/loss events across the business to ensure appropriate remediation where issues or trends emerge.
• Identify, assess and report on operational risk controls and indicators in line with existing regulations and preparing for future changes.
• Capture and evaluate Emerging Risks across the Irish entities and build on existing processes to develop and enhance our Emerging Risk models
• Close collaboration with Group Operational Risk function
• Work closely with the IT Department regarding IT Security / Cyber Security Risk Assessments, Business Continuity Frameworks, Data Protection, etc.
• Close collaboration with Legal function to ensure that non-standard clauses are appropriately risk accepted by the business.
• Help identify and implement best practice operational risk process
• Attend various Committee meetings and present findings on operational risk processes, providing Boards and Committees with Operational Risk reports
• Review and continuously improve the Risk Management processes/procedures including implementing themed reviews.
• Risk identification, assessment and management - including gap analysis and action plans
• Consolidate and provide analysis on key risks and collate / validate internal loss data
• Provide engagement, training & awareness sessions and on-going support Skills & Competencies
• Ability to lead the development of the function across the business and to work collaboratively with other business owners
• Highly organised individual who can self-manage multiple priorities, routine work and urgent issues as they arise. The ideal candidate is focused on resolving issues in a pro-active way and in a timely way
• Display Attention to Detail in all aspects of work and relationships
• Ability to work independently on large projects which are key to the development /progression of the overall Risk Team
• Developing and managing relationships both internally and externally
• Excellent verbal, written and numeric skills. Qualifications & Experience
• Degree or Postgraduate degree a minimum requirement.
• Appropriate professional development in the Operational Risk field
• Minimum of 12 years' work experience in a financial services environment in the Operational Risk area
• Understanding of Front, Middle and Back Office controls
• Awareness of financial services products (including Bonds /Equities / Derivatives) and regulations (including CRD / UCITS / MIFID)
• Previous Financial Services experience a pre-requisite
• Excel proficiency a minimum requirement