Job Description - Senior Engineer Senior Engineer Grade 6 (M20/21), based in KL JOB DESCRIPTION
The Technology & Innovation Governance and Change organization are seeking a Development Lead to be be a 'Senior Engineer'.
Are you bored with monotony?
We are looking for smart, top-of-their-game Development Leads who, while they have been good team leaders and influencers, want to remain hands-on and solve difficult problems across all systems in the Bank.
Test Engineering is not about performing testing, but solving the engineering problems in automation, cloud, containers and virtual machines so that developers and testers have a clearer path.
If you relish proving those who say "it can't be done" wrong, this may be the role for you.
We expect our team members to be better than the average Developer or Automation Engineer, as our role is to fix what they cannot, to solve the problems they think are impossible, and to guide them through solutions or approaches.
We tend to pilot, bootstrap and industrialize, enabling the wider teams to use, extend and adapt.
The soft skills we are looking for include:
- Eagerness to learn - curious, self-learning, then applying
- Problem Solving Skills - Creativity, resourcefulness, lateral thinking
- Big-Picture Thinking - maintainability, testability, usability, performance etc.
- Positive Attitude - passion for the task and achieving a solution
- Communication Skills - explain, influence, listen, document thinking
- Independence - Ability to work and deliver unsupervised, a self-starter
- Discipline - to chase down solutions to resolution, to deliver quality
- Ability to design and implement efficient, maintainable, elegant code
- Proficient in Cloud, Java, Virtualisation (e.g vSphere) technologies
- Some proficiency in Linux system administration skills
- Proficient in an additional language or framework: .NET, C/C++, Scala, Python, Haskell, Kotlin
The candidate should have a passion for quality delivery, Agile and automation in all its dimensions and possess a solid track record of software delivery, solution design and stakeholder management. The candidate would have a strong knowledge of DevOps, Virtualisation, Containers and Cloud, along with Agile delivery practices, as well as a disciplined approach to planning, execution and reporting.
The candidate will form part of a bank-wide consultancy function, be expected to own and represent the specialist capacity to a section of the Bank, bootstrapping automation teams from hiring advice to tool usage, design automation strategies for project and application teams and personally build and integrate technology solutions. The successful candidate will be engaging at the very beginning of projects or later in a project lifecycle to ensure that planning and resourcing of automated test design and execution is properly conducted by the project. A key dimension will be to raise the quality of specification and planning across the Bank in general.The Senior Engineer may be expected to engage and even execute on complex projects, so a strong element of individual contribution is expected, and candidates must be prepared for and relish this.
The candidate may be expected to build and lead up to 3 to 5 Engineers, yet still be capable of performing hands-on as required.
The role will require on-going engagement with a broad constituency across the bank, dealing with teams' project, development and testing who are at varying stages of technology and test methodology adoption. Strong time-management, negotiation and prioritisation skills for oneself and others is essential. The ability to successfully communicate with senior management and business stakeholders is essential. RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Engage with delivery teams across the bank
- Effectively manage multiple stakeholder demands and expectations while maintaining quality and delivery
- Engages with vendors and architects to determine strategic direction in terms of application testability
- Evaluates and implements new technologies personally, in line with bank strategy, compliance and security
- Documents and publishes standards and procedures
- Keeps current with new practice and technical developments for potential use as solutions to requirements
- Hands-on software development capability for framework creation and extension
- Potentially lead and mentor a small team of Engineers
- Drives high quality engineering solutions for the bank's business needs
- Thought leadership as teams transition to Agile and Cloud ecospheres
- Provides consultancy and advisory services to the business, systems development and QA for Automated Testing
- Identifies and recommends new technology or practices that will add value to the organization in terms of performance and cost
- Undertakes continuous improvement for the practice and domain internally and within federated teams
- Established professional with 8 or more years working across the full SDLC from inception to deployment.
- Communicator with ability to lead and influence direction and strategy of testing organization.
- Self-starter, capable of working without direction and able to deliver test projects from scratch.
- Excellent problem analysis and resolution abilities.
- Ability to write test strategy and execution plans essential.
Senior Engineer DEPARTMENT:
Governance and Change FUNCTION:
Group Technology and Innovation REPORTS TO:
Head of Engineering SCOPE:
Global SPECIFIC SKILLS:
· Established Senior Development Lead with 5 or more years working at an enterprise level
- Track record of team leadership
· The ability to articulate use cases, document requirements, and provide management summary information for proof of concepts and evaluation
· Solid understanding of the role, technologies and value of Agile, Cloud, DevOps, Containers
· Broad interest in test execution and practices
· Automation testing experience encompassing planning, scheduling, data management, environments, reporting
· An understanding of Unix and Windows host operating systems, networking and related logistics
· Background or involvement in various disciplines such as test automation, planning, strategy, authoring, execution an advantage
· Experience with Compliance and Regulatory constraints required
· Familiarity with orchestration and workflows an advantage