Senior Legal Adviser, Domestic Litigation (Opportunity for Qatari Nationals Only)
Established in 1964 as the countryâ€™s first Qatari-owned commercial bank, QNB Group has steadily grown to become the largest bank in the Middle East and Africa (MEA) region.
QNB Groupâ€™s presence through its subsidiaries and associate companies extends to more than 31 countries across three continents providing a comprehensive range of advanced products and services. The total number of employees is more than 28,000 serving up to 20 million customers operating through 1,000 locations, with an ATM network of 4,300 machines.
QNB has maintained its position as one of the highest rated regional banks from leading credit rating agencies including Standard & Poorâ€™s (A), Moodyâ€™s (Aa3) and Fitch (A+). The Bank has also been the recipient of many awards from leading international specialised financial publications.
Based on the Groupâ€™s consistent strong financial performance and its expanding international presence, QNB currently ranks as the most valuable bank brand in the Middle East and Africa, according to Brand Finance Magazine.
QNB Group has an active community support program and sponsors various social, educational and sporting events. Role Summary:
The incumbent will be responsible for assisting in protecting the Group's interests in all domestic/Qatari litigations. The incumbent will assume responsibility for providing sound legal advice in respect of all such litigation. The incumbent will adopt a pro-active role to highlight and mitigate potential problems, being prepared for all eventualities. Role Description:
- Contribute to the creation of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for performance monitoring and quality measurement purposes for the Litigation unit and monitor unit's achievement on periodic basis.
- Assist in the development of the Legal's annual budget.
- Continuously contribute to the reporting of the high risk legal concerns relating to local and international issues confronted by the Group in its litigation cases and take adequate and timely mitigating actions to safeguard the Group's interest.
- Assist in finalizing Service Level Agreements (SLAs) with internal departments/ units (if required by the department/unit) to achieve improvements in turn around time which will also help increase external customer satisfaction.
- Maintain relationships with local court and arbitration authorities such as Qatar Public Prosecution, Qatar Police, Qatar Courts, QFC Courts, Qatar Central Bank and also liaise with external legal professionals as and when required.
- Preparation of memoranda for external lawyers summarizing key aspects of new cases for and against the Group.
- Be responsible for the use of a diary system to ensure that no key dates in the conduct of any litigation are missed.
- Assist the Group Head of Litigation to ensure as far as possible (given the requirements for a high standard of work product) the lowest possible cost for external lawyers used for litigation.
- Inform the Group Head of Litigation of any major developments in any domestic litigation.
- Assist the Group Head of Litigation to ensure that the "know-how" from domestic litigation cases is passed on to the rest of Group Legal for use in future transactions.
- Contribute to the review and revision of the existing policies and procedures for the domestic litigation to ensure these reflect changes in relevant laws/ regulations and previous judgments.
- Contribute to the review of the Group's positions with regard to local laws and regulations as impact on domestic litigation.
- Prepare (and supervise junior legal staff in the Litigation division in the preparation of) well-researched legal advice to all departments within the Group on matters relating to Group's transactions. to ensure the Group's legal position is protected.
- Contribute to the preparation of the weekly, quarterly and annual returns for executive management on the activities of Group Legal.
- Act within the limits of the powers delegated to the incumbent and delegate authority to the respective departmental/ unit heads and monitor exercise of the same.
- Undergraduate Law degree from a recognized law school.
- At least 10 years legal experience in the legal profession with 4 years' experience either (a) in a senior role in the litigation section of a major bank/ FSI or (b) as a practising lawyer in the litigation practice of a recognized international law firm.
- Superior knowledge of local commercial litigation practice in the financial sector.
- Thorough competence in several legal areas of concentration, with maturity and sound judgement.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Arabic .
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Well-developed analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Self-motivated, eye for detail.
- Ability to persuade others.
- Flexible team player and able to work and deliver under pressure.
- Ability to manage teams from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to inspire and motivate others to gain commitment.
Note: you will be required to attach the following:
1. Resume / CV