- Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- 21 Apr 19
Join us in Edinburgh as a Data Engineer
- This role will see you contributing to Mimo, a new start-up mobile application that is being developed by NatWest for launch into the UK and Irish markets
- Mimo consolidates holistic customer information onto a cloud based data platform, and then surfaces insights to help customers save time and money, and gain peace of mind that their life is in order
- The app has been operating as a pilot since 2018, and we're now looking for a Data Engineer
- This role will be advertised from the 29th March until 26th April
What you'll do
As a data engineer, you'll be supporting data scientists, and carrying out data sourcing, data wrangling and feature engineering tasks. You'll be pairing up with other analysts to deliver clean and consistent data pipelines for analytical teams using agile and extreme programming delivery methods.
You'll also be responsible for:
- Working with unstructured datasets and developing a scalable data architecture
- Developing technical solutions, keeping the customer experience at the forefront of your actions
- Proactively driving our core data infrastructure, building ETL processes and undertaking automated code-quality assessment
- Bug fixing and performance analysis
- Providing high quality analytical input to support the development and implementation of innovative processes and problem resolution
- Performing data extraction, storage, manipulation, processing and analysis
The skills you'll need
- Familiarity with Hadoop, HiveQL and Spark
- Expert programming and data engineering skills, qualified to BSc or equivalent in Computer Science or Software Engineering
- Experience with data wrangling and feature engineering for machine learning applications
- Strong SQL skills and extensive knowledge of RDBMS technologies
- An understanding of relational database theory and data modelling
- An in-depth understanding of large scale data sets, including both structured and unstructured data
- Experience with Unix or Linux scripting
- Experience programming in Scala or Java
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary and you'll also join our retirement savings plan. You can also choose from a selection of protection, healthcare or lifestyle extras from RBSelect, our fully flexible reward programme.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer.
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we'll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles - find out more .