Accountant / Senior Business Adviser
Change Public Practice are working with a well-respected Chartered Accountancy firm to assist them in the recruitment of a Qualified Accountant / Senior Business Adviser for their team in Glasgow. This role is very much a client facing role and will involve a mix of business advisory and general accountancy responsibilities. In addition to business advisory experience, this role would also welcome those coming from an audit background who are looking to progress within a business advisory role.
This business has a long-standing market reputation for being a top employer of choice and they have a strong focus on hiring and retaining top talent. The level of staff retention that this Chartered Accountancy has is undoubtedly due to the internal culture, progression opportunities and the work-life balance that they offer. You will be given a challenging career along with the support and tools to shape your own career according to your strength, skills and personality. The firm also has a strong focus on developing and promoting from within which creates a fantastic training environment and opportunities for future growth and development.
This role will have general year-end compliance accountancy responsibilities but will also offer a high percentage of time spent on business advisory work which makes this role an extremely rare and interesting opportunity. Full training will be provided to learn the business advisory side of this role and candidates with a strong Public Practice Accountancy background will be ideal for this opportunity. Responsibilities will include:
• Work will involve business advisory services as well as accounts compliance work. Will be expected to work without supervision at times.
• Ability to produce forecasts, projections and business plans using relevant software.
• Provide clients with monthly management information in a range of formats, using technology and dashboards as appropriate.
• Accurately prepare more complicated entities accounting compliance work using compliance procedures.
• Engage with clients on basic issues and brings more complex issues to the attention of senior staff.
• Assist in identifying, researching and resolving accounting issues.
• Review completed returns for accuracy, using deductive reasoning to identify anomalies, issues or gaps to raise ahead of manager/RI review.
• Understanding how finance and accounting functions and supporting technology can differ by industry and business structure, what is required from a compliance perspective and what is considered a standard or best practice.
• Provide clients with advice on day-to-day accounting transactions and appropriate accounting treatment.
• Identify opportunities to use add-on applications to improve business processing efficiency for the firm and the client.
• Able to tailor standard management reports to the specific reporting needs of the client.
• Understand the finance and accounting functions generally performed by a business (eg sales, purchasing, A/R etc) and common best practices/processes for how they operate.
• Prepare standard KPI dashboards from the client's accounting system, using templates.
• Able to hold a meaningful conversation with clients, new businesses or junior members of staff as to the rules and regulations of doing business in the UK.
• Able to identify circumstances that require more specialist advice and bring in others as appropriate.
• Prepare budgets for clients' management purposes
• Must hold a professional accountancy qualification i.e. AAT/ACCA/ICAS/ACA etc.
• Minimum of 3 years' experience gained within an accountancy role at a Public Practice firm i.e. Big 4, Top 10, mid-tier chartered accountancy firm
• Ideally you will have gained some experience of starting to review accounts for manager review but this is not essential to be considered
• Those who have gained some advisory experience i.e. preparing budgets and advising on complex issues to clients will be preferred but full training on this advisory side of the role will be given
• Must have a strong background of preparing statutory and management accounts through to completion