Data Science Engineering Manager -London -£100-150k package
- £80-120k basic + generous bonus opp
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- McCabe & Barton
- 22 Sep 17
Our client is seeking someone to manage (& hire) a newly formed Data Science team to be based at their London HQ, which was established to help build a platform around data science, machine learning, and business analytics efforts. The team is at the forefront of innovation to ingest and process large, disparate datasets and utilize advanced statistical and machine learning methods to fuel applications and the investment decision making process.
We are seeking a highly motivated and hands-on engineering manager who combines ambition with humility and is happy to let their performance do the talking. You need to be passionate about all aspects of software engineering – performance, security, usability, reusability and maintainability. You also need to be equally passionate about teaching and inspiring members of your team.
The succesful applicant will be responsible for
- Managing, mentoring and developing a high-performing team of 5 – 10 engineers who mission is to build and support a world class Data Science platform
- Develop predictive models using machine learning, natural language, and statistical analysis methods such as classification, time-series analysis, regression, statistical inference, and validation tools; perform exploratory data analyses, generate and test working hypotheses, prepare and analyze historical data, and identify patterns
- Work directly with clients and stakeholders to present and explain the key techniques and major results generated using non-technical language; understand client feedback and be able to accommodate it into model through programming
- Come up with innovative, repeatable, business use cases for real world optimization techniques, and quickly develop prototypes to test these use cases
- Take ownership for the overall planning, execution and success of complex technical projects.
- Lead cross-disciplinary collaboration between data science, data engineering, business intelligence and the product management team to ensure we are building the best products.
- Oversee and ensure the application designs and engineering processes of your team fulfill the target operating model and architecture with maximum agility and efficiency
- Work closely with architecture team to organize and participate in architecture reviews, develop practices and ensure standards and roadmaps are adhered to
- Conducting release planning, sprint planning, product and sprint backlog grooming, sprint reviews, retrospectives, daily standup meetings, user story development, estimation, and other related activities
- Experience utilizing a strong mathematical background with advanced knowledge in one or more of the following fields: discrete optimization, integer programming (including commercial optimization solvers), discrete-event simulation, dynamic programming, local search heuristics or other metaheuristics
- 10+ years of Software Development experience, with 3+ years of experience as an engineering manager building and leading strong engineering teams
- Proven expertise in managing complex data science/engineering projects throughout the entire development life cycle, delivering highly available distributed systems on schedule
- Hands-on “teacher” level proficiency in one of the following: Java, C++ or C#
- Proficiency in data analysis packages (e.g. R, Python, Matlab), as well as the ability to implement, maintain, debug and test; experience in commercial optimization solvers (e.g. CPLEX, Axioma) preferred
- Experience designing and aligning software architectures to target state while taking scalability, reliability and performance into account
- Advanced Degree in one or more of the following quantitative disciplines: Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Computing, Quantitative Finance or other Quantitative, Numerical or Computing discipline
- Experience building containerized web applications and deploying to public or private clouds, such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, or similar providers.
- 5+ years of software development experience as a manager
- Open source involvement such as a well-curated blog, accepted contribution, or community presence
- Proficient with a range of open source frameworks and development tools – e.g. Angular, Node, SpringBoot, .Net Core, Flask, NumPy, SciPy, pandas etc.
- Proficient on Linux platforms with knowledge of various scripting languages
- Strong knowledge of one or more relevant database technologies e.g. Oracle, SQL, MongoDB, Hadoop, KDB/OneTick