• Energy and Carbon Lead for strategy and delivery of ambitious energy and carbon programme to decarbonise real estate assets and portfolios aligned to Paris 1.5C and achieve net zero carbon as part of Schroders Capital Real Estate's Sustainability Programme • Responsibility across UK, European and Asian real estate portfolios working with local investment desks. • Reporting to Head of Sustainability and Impact Investment, Schroders Capital Real Estate • Requires excellent understanding and ideas for energy and carbon opportunities and requirements for buildings and real estate investment portfolios
We're a global investment manager. We help institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future.
We have around 5,000 people on six continents. And we've been around for over 200 years, but keep adapting as society and technology changes. What doesn't change is our commitment to helping our clients, and society, prosper.
We believe sustainability is about making a positive impact with everything we do, from how we act as a corporate to the investments we make on behalf of our clients.
We all have the power to help create a sustainable and more prosperous world for all through our role in the financial system by allocating capital to areas that deliver both social and investment value.
We have made a number of climate and carbon commitments including Climate Neutrality for Schroders PLC, signatory to the Net Zero Asset Managers Initiative and commitment to a Science Based Target , as well as TCFD. Schroders Capital Real Estate is a BBP Climate Commitment Signatory, issued its Net Zero Carbon Pathway in 2020 and includes TCFD statements in fund reporting.
We moved into our new HQ in the City of London in 2018. We're close to our clients, in the heart of the UK's financial centre. And we have everything we need to work flexibly. We also have a growing office in Manchester where 7 UK real estate staff are based.
Schroders Capital Real Estate
Our Real Estate team is an integral part of Schroders Capital, the private market investment division of Schroders, and constitutes an important focus of the Group's strategy for expansion. Schroders Capital is one of Europe's largest real estate managers with deep real estate expertise on the ground across real estate sectors. Investment strategies are offered in a broad range of open and closed ended funds, listed REITS, specialist funds, joint ventures separate accounts and real estate debt.
The Real Estate team is highly experienced in real estate fund management, research, acquisitions, asset management and strategy and sustainability and is comprised of over 200 people operating from offices across the UK, Continental Europe, Asia and North America.
Our investment philosophy is centred on consistent themes including investing in strong fundamentals, actively managing portfolios and delivering positive environmental and social impact. We adopt a research-driven and market-focused investment approach. Our dedicated Real Estate Research team identifies those sectors, cities and real estate characteristics expected to outperform, ensuring portfolios can benefit from structural change.
What you'll do
Energy and Net Zero Carbon Lead, Real Estate
• Energy and Carbon Lead for strategy and delivery of ambitious energy and carbon programme to decarbonise real estate assets and portfolios aligned to Paris 1.5C and delivery of net zero carbon as part of the Schroders Capital Real Estate and Schroders Sustainability Programme • Responsibility across UK, European and Asian direct, indirect and debt real estate portfolios working with local investment desks and sustainability team. • Reporting to Head of Sustainability and Impact Investment, Schroders Capital Real Estate • Requires excellent understanding and ideas for energy and carbon opportunities and requirements for buildings and real estate investments • Requires a good understanding of the landscape for sustainability and impact investment, regulation and risk considerations and opportunities across the built environment particularly energy, carbon, climate change, health and wellbeing and social value. • Together with understanding and solving the requirements for clients and investors, their climate and carbon commitments and supporting presentation of the business within the industry and with clients
Responsibilities will include
• The development of Real Estate Energy and Carbon strategy and delivery of ambitious energy and carbon programme to decarbonise real estate assets and portfolios aligned to Paris 1.5C and delivery of net zero carbon • To include setting policy and targets and their implementation across the Real Estate business in the UK, European and Asian real estate commercial, residential and hotel portfolios, both directly held and indirectly held assets and funds. • Recognising regulation and industry frameworks, ensuring compliance and contributing to industry discussion • Working with Schroders sustainability resources and external consultants • Working closely with fund managers and the investment team throughout the fund and asset investment lifecycle to ensure energy and carbon is managed within the investment process to include setting and inputting to guidance documents, asset and fund analysis and reviews and within investment and risk monitoring and reporting • Supporting the communication of the Sustainability programme generally, specific to funds and within the organisation working with sustainability, client relations, distribution and marketing and externally to clients, consultants and other stakeholders. • Contributing to analysis and reporting for funds and the business including SBTi, TCFD, INREV/EPRA, GRESB and other frameworks including UN PRI • Managing external relationships with consultants on ESG issues, including third party managing agents, technical building and sustainability consultants • Supporting industry engagement through representation at industry groups and sustainability committees, attending conferences and contributing to industry initiatives (i.e. Better Buildings Partnership and UK Green Building Council, British Council for Offices, Urban Land Institute, AREF, IPF) • Supporting internal thought leadership on energy, carbon and sustainability and impact related investment themes • Presenting to board meetings and contributing to investment meetings
The knowledge, experience and qualifications you need
• Previous relevant energy and carbon experience and qualifications in relation to commercial buildings • Ability to engage with a range of team members and seniority to drive the ambition • Ability to present complex topics and concepts simply to a broad audience • Good data analysis skills • Ability to navigate and understand the rapidly evolving energy, carbon and wider sustainability landscape for real estate and investment more generally • Personal resilience and flexibility; the ability to take ownership and act proactively for projects and tasks
The knowledge, experience and qualifications that will help
• Excellent experience of energy and carbon for commercial real estate • Language skills useful - French, German
What you'll be like
• Positive, can-do attitude. • Innovative • Collaborative. • Uphold Schroders' core values. • Previous analytical experience (this may be from an investing or a consulting background). • Excellent verbal and written communication skills. • Ability to handle information and data effectively. • Evidence of independent thought.
We're looking for the best, whoever they are
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer. You're welcome here whatever your socio-economic background, race, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious belief, age or disability.