Flexible Talent Network - Defined Benefits Pensions Manager
This role is open specifically for people who are looking to work Flexibly. Everyone's lives are different. Maybe you have a start-up business that only takes up some of your time, or perhaps you volunteer and want to get paid work around volunteering? Or you could be a parent or carer taking time-out to support your family? Or are you semi-retired but still want to supplement your income? Maybe you've taken a career break and looking to get back into work?
There are all sorts of reasons why a traditional working pattern may not be quite right for you and why working more flexibly with us could be just what you were looking for. If you have the required experience and are looking to work flexibly (eg part time, term time, permanent, fixed term etc) then please feel free to get in touch or hit 'apply'.
About the team PwC is looking for an ambitious and driven qualified actuary to join PwC's extremely successful and growing pensions practice based various PwC offices nationally. The individual will be technically strong, enabling them to help develop and manage our junior actuaries across the region and commercially savvy being able to think about our clients' needs and how best we can achieve their objectives. The role offers the opportunity to work flexibly, whilst working with a wide range of experts across all grades, to develop breadth of knowledge. We focus on adding value to our clients through our projects which can range from a redesign of future pension provision to funding and de-risking strategy for legacy DB schemes. The pensions teams are home to a number of specialisms within our national pensions practice, including audit/accounting, longevity and member options.
Our pension specialists work in partnership with a wide range of other specialists - employer covenant advisers, corporate finance specialists, transactions specialists, tax experts, accountants, insolvency specialists, lawyers and HR consultants in other parts of PwC. The exposure everyone gains from this pooling of talent allows us to provide complete solutions to our clients, as well as develop our people's abilities in fields outside their usual remits.
Being part of PwC allows you to use market-leading technology (such as Skyval) to provide real-time analysis which we can use with our clients to help meet their long-term goals. The key is to help clients manage risk and cost within their pension schemes while also achieving their long-term goals.
The PwC pensions practice is made up of over 200 people and is a truly distinctive and independent pensions consultancy, advising on all aspects of pensions.
Successful candidates are likely to have had experience of undertaking large scale pensions change projects, with exposure to the UK pensions industry.
About the role Our pensions team will provide you with an opportunity to broaden your experience in all the areas of work mentioned and others which are yet to be developed. Your responsibilities will include the following
- Using your pensions knowledge within a wide commercial context
- Playing a key role in developing new business
- Using the technical skills you have and build on them with commercial knowledge and project experience within a challenging environment
- Helping clients develop and implement their strategic objectives
- Taking on a wide-ranging portfolio of work while developing client exposure and business skills
- Proactively building your network with internal colleagues, third parties and external clients
- Assisting clients with their DB related issues
- Advising businesses as part of a multi-disciplinary team, including other professionals such as Tax, Accounting, HR, wider employee reward and Corporate Finance
- Taking responsibility for and lead the overall delivery of large projects and/or oversee a number of smaller projects
- Bringing their own client / external business relationships to the team and knowledge of the Northern pensions market
- Being involved in bringing innovative projects and solutions to the market ahead of our competitors
- Coaching and leading junior members of the team
Essential skills and experience
- Commitment, drive and a strong team player
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong technical and organisational skills
- Understanding of the pensions framework in the UK
- Commercial awareness
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to build and manage successful stakeholder relationships
- Flexibility to deal with uncertainty and lack of clarity
- The ability to lead a team
- Knowledge of the employee pensions/benefit issues facing employers across the UK and the rest of the world
- Appreciation of employee benefit / HR issues wider than pensions
- Experience in explaining complex pensions ideas to trustees or corporate clients
We help organisations and the people who run them answer the big business questions. How should we raise finance? Where should we be based? How should we reward our people? With some 3,300 experts whose expertise covers every conceivable area of taxation, we're one of the UK's leading tax practices. Not the role for you?
Did you know PwC offer flexible contract arrangements as well as contingent work ( ie temporary or day rate contracting)? The skills we look for in future employees
All our people need to demonstrate the skills and behaviours that support us in delivering our business strategy. This is important to the work we do for our business, and our clients. These skills and behaviours make up our global leadership framework, 'The PwC Professional' and are made up of five core attributes; whole leadership, technical capabilities, business acumen, global acumen and relationships.
Learn more here www.pwc.com/uk/careers/experienced/apply Diversity
We work in a changing world which offers great opportunities for people with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We seek to attract and employ the best people from the widest talent pool, as well as those who reflect the diverse nature of our society. And we aim to encourage a culture where people can be themselves and be valued for their strengths. Creating value through diversity is what makes us strong as a business and as an organisation with an increasingly agile workforce, we're open to flexible working arrangements where appropriate.
Learn more here www.pwc.com/uk/diversity