Legal - Sales and Trading Lawyer, VP (12 month maternity contract)
Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group, Inc. (MUFG) is one of the world’s leading financial groups. Headquartered in Tokyo and with over 360 years of history, MUFG has a global network with around 3,000 offices in more than 50 markets. The Group has over 180,000 employees, and offers services including commercial banking, trust banking, securities, credit cards, consumer finance, asset management, and leasing.
The Legal department’s principal functions are to:
- Provide legal services and legal advice to each international securities business
- Draft, review and negotiate contractual documentation, whether transactional or non-transactional
- Draft structured notes and other product documentation and arrange for issuance of such notes and products
- Provide structuring, legal and execution advice in relation to transactions and new business
- Provide transaction management support for securities issues and financing transactions arranged or underwritten by an international securities business
- Evaluate legal risk business is conducted in a lawful and professional manner
- Identify and advise on the implementation of new laws and regulations
- Provide legal oversight of regulatory matters and government affairs
- Manage all disputes, litigation, regulatory proceedings and other contentious matters
- Manage and approve all use of law firms
Main purpose of the role:
We have an exciting opportunity within our Legal department for an individual to join our team on a temporary basis.
- Provide legal advice, support and risk management to the company on derivatives, repo, securities lending, clearing execution, cash securities and brokerage arrangements (“Sales & Trading Transactions”).
- Prepare and negotiate trading agreements and other documentation between the company and its counterparties across all counterparty sectors and jurisdictions and relating to Sales & Trading Transactions.
- Ensure that all legal and documentation requirements for Sales & Trading Transactions are dealt with and met in an efficient and timely manner.
- Monitor, identify and advise on legal and regulatory risks and legal, regulatory and market developments relevant to documentation and industry/market conventions and practices for Sales & Trading Transactions.
- Conduct legal diligence on new counterparties and jurisdictions for Sales & Trading Transactions.
- Provide advice and support relating to netting and collateral, and management of netting and collateral enforceability opinions and risk positions in connection with Sales & Trading Transactions.
- Maintain databases and records of all documentation connected to Sales & Trading Transactions.
- Provide advice and documentation support on trade confirmations for Sales & Trading Transactions.
- Assist in the maintenance and development of document templates and standards, know-how and procedures in connection with Sales & Trading Transactions.
- Assist in the maintenance and interpretation of the company’s default management policies and procedures.
- Review and advise on new business and new product requests relevant to Sales & Trading Transactions.
- Participate in industry initiatives relevant to Sales & Trading Transactions, including internal and external legal, regulatory and market standards working groups and committees.
- Participate in and contribute towards Legal Department-wide strategic projects and initiatives.
Skills and experience:
- University degree or equivalent.
- Qualified as a solicitor with minimum of 4 years PQE.
- Demonstrable experience in an OTC derivatives trading documentation negotiation role.
- Working knowledge of recent and current regulatory change, including MiFID2, Dodd-Frank, EMIR/ EMIR REFIT, SFTR and CSDR.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral).
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, teamplayer
- Results driven, with a strong sense of accountability
- A pro-active, motivated approach
- The ability to operate with urgency and prioritise work accordingly
- Good decision making skills, the ability to demonstrate sound judgement
- A structured and logical approach to work
- The ability to manage large workloads and tight deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- A calm approach, with the ability to perform well in a pressurised environment
MUFG is committed to embracing diversity and building an inclusive culture where all employees are valued, respected and their opinions count. We support the principles of equality, diversity and inclusion in recruitment and employment, and oppose all forms of discrimination on the grounds of age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy and maternity, race, gender reassignment, religion or belief and marriage or civil partnership.
We make our recruitment decisions in a non-discriminatory manner in accordance with our commitment to identifying the right skills for the right role and our obligations under the law.