Principal Engineer in London | NatWest Group Careers
Join us as a Principal Engineer
What you'll do
- This is a challenging role that will see you design and engineer software with the customer or user experience as the primary objective
- With your software development background, you'll be working with architects to help define major components of the business-wide target architecture and roadmap
- You'll play a key role in helping us to deliver a digital bank, making sure we take a customer centric approach so that we can bring technology innovation into all our customer interactions
Our Digital Solutions domain is responsible for the delivery of the Digital Technology strategy for NatWest Markets. The scope of the domain covers electronic trading across Markets and Digital channels interfacing with Clients, Sales and Trading customers as well as Client Outreach and Client Analytics Technology. Our E-FX platform will deliver the IT strategy in support of Clients, Sales and Trading customers for our FX product suite, which will cover price origination and distribution, hedging, client order management and algorithmic execution as well as providing analytics at every stage of the workflow.
As a Principal Engineer, you'll be creating great customer outcomes via engineering and innovative solutions to existing and new challenges, and technology designs which are innovative, customer centric, high performance, secure and robust.
You'll also be:
The skills you'll need
- Leading the more significant, complex and technically challenging assignments and coordinating multiple feature teams
- Defining, creating and providing oversight and governance of engineering and design solutions with a focus on end-to-end automation, simplification, resilience, security, performance, scalability and reusability
- Working within a platform or feature team along with software engineers to design and engineer complex software, scripts and tools to enable the delivery of bank platforms, applications and services, acting as a point of contact for solution design considerations
- Defining and developing architecture models and roadmaps of application and software components to meet business and technical requirements, driving common usability across products and domains
- Influencing the development of strategies and architecture at domain and enterprise levels, identifying transformational opportunities for the businesses and technology areas
You'll come with significant experience in software engineering, software or database design and architecture, as well as experience of developing software within a DevOps and Agile framework.
Along with an expert understanding of the latest market trends, technologies and tools, you'll bring significant and demonstrable experience of implementing programming best practice, especially around scalability, automation, virtualisation, optimisation, availability and performance.
You'll also need:
- A strong background in leading software development teams in a matric structure, introducing and executing technical strategies
- Significant and demonstrable experience of test-driven development and using automated test frameworks, mocking and stubbing and unit testing tools
- A background in designing or implementing APIs
- The ability to rapidly and effectively understand and translate product and business requirements into technical solutions
- A background of working with code repositories, bug tracking tools and wikis
If you need any adjustments to support your application, such as information in alternative formats or special requirements to access our buildings, or if you're eligible under the Disability Confident Scheme please contact us and we'll do everything we can to help.