- London, England, United Kingdom London England GB
- Permanent, Full time
- 25 Jun 18 2018-06-25
See job description for details
Join us as a Java Software Engineer in London
- Design and develop state of the art applications in our Personal & Business Banking franchise and help us shape the future of our business
- Work with the latest technologies and hone your technical expertise in a collaborative, agile and forward thinking team environment
- As well as developing your technical talents you'll have the opportunity to build project and leadership skills which will open up a range of exciting career options
- It's a rare opportunity to be involved from the very early days of a project right through to delivery to the customer
- The role is based in London, with some travel to Edinburgh likely to feature
What you'll do
You'll join a team who are delivering a customer facing app driven by AI and machine learning, initially in partnership with a third party consultancy, and then migrating away from that reliance. You'll design, develop and test applications and technical solutions in line with business requirements and the needs of our customers. This will involve working with lead engineers, architects and business stakeholders to build an understanding of business needs and collaborating to deliver innovative solutions to agreed budget and timescales.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Delivering well thought out estimates after a thorough consideration of design, build and testing complexity
- Building your understanding of our business' architectural direction and principles and ensuring new developments progress in line with these
- Designing and developing high-volume, high-performance, high-availability applications using proven frameworks and technologies
- Delivering software components to enable the delivery of bank platforms, applications and services
- Writing unit and integration tests within automated test environments to ensure code quality
- Keeping up to date with the latest technology developments and sharing best practice
The skills you'll need
We're looking for someone with a background in software engineering and design, or database design and architecture. You'll need experience using industry recognised frameworks and development tooling.
You'll have experience using Java, including its deployment on AWS, and of configuring AWS infrastructure using automation tooling. You'll also have experience of continuous integration and continuous delivery, and of agile methodologies.
We'll also look to you to demonstrate:
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate across teams and business areas to deliver solutions
- Experience implementing programming best practice - especially around scalability, availability and performance
- Experience of test-driven development alongside use of automated test frameworks
- Knowledge of the software delivery lifecycle, established software development methodologies and agile delivery methods
- An innovative mind-set and the problem solving skills to translate product and business requirements into workable solutions
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary plus 25% cash and benefit funding programme that can be tailored to suit your individual needs. In addition, we provide a wide selection of exclusive lifestyle offers, development and learning programmes, services and support designed to help you manage and balance your work/life priorities.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer.
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we'll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles - find out more .
As a Financial Services organisation we comply with and support the requirements set by our Regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), which are designed to protect our customers. This role falls under Conduct Rules of the Individual Accountability Regime (IAR) and is subject to pre-employment screening. This means if your application is successful, you'll need to satisfy some important background checks before you can start working with us. These will include a full credit check, a criminal record check, residency and right to work checks.