Software Engineer - Finance Wellbeing Lab
Saturday 28 September 2019 Salary Range
£63,135 - £70,150
\n We support agile working - click here for more information on agile working options. Agile Working Options
Flexible / Variable Hours Job Description Summary
Deliver business value through sound and fully rounded engineering methods and principles, ensuring platforms and software are built consistently with relevant patterns and practices. Able to continually develop themselves with industry best practice methods and tooling used across their engineering teams.
Working within the Financial Wellbeing Lab you will play a pivotal role in the next stage of our transformation journey. The Lab's purpose is to create a leading experience to help our customers before, during and after financial difficulty. We will ensure we help them become more financially resilient and improve their overall financial wellbeing. We aim to achieve this purpose through improving colleague tools, creating tools to allow customers to better manage their day-to-day finances, and by simplifying the Customer Financial Assistance systems through an increased focus on Test Automation, DevOps Cloud technologies and Rationalisation.
Our aim is to create a forward-thinking engineering culture that supports the Customer Financial Assistance in delivering high quality, efficient and positive impact outcomes for our customers. The role of the Software Engineer is vital in ensuring the products we deliver in the Financial Wellbeing Lab are fit for purpose and meet the quality and standards that our customers expect.
You'll join a dynamic, co-located team in London who are passionate about new ways of working and new ideas, and you will work in cross-disciplinary feature teams delivering exciting customer driven solutions and high quality software.
Being part of cross-disciplinary teams, Quality Engineers should be able to showcase excellent interpersonal and communications skills whilst efficiently working across the project life cycle to ensure software operates as intended whilst validating and verifying feature behaviour against requirement specifications. Our Engineers work in a highly collaborative way to complete assigned work, showcase progress and address problems that are well defined, complex and often non-routine whilst being quick learners who can learn and adapt to new technologies being used within Lloyds and the wider industry. What you will do:
• Deliver the highest quality customer driven software whist continually challenging, motivating, mentoring and supporting their engineering teams.
• Work in cross-disciplinary feature teams delivering exciting customer driven solutions and high quality software.
• Showcase excellent interpersonal and communications skills whilst efficiently working across the project life cycle to ensure software operates as intended.
• Work hands-on alongside engineering colleagues to understand and develop their own technical domain knowledge and takes responsibility for their actions.
• Exercise responsibility, autonomy and judgement within broad, but well defined parameters.
• Work in a highly collaborative way to complete assigned work, showcase progress and address problems that are well defined, complex and often non-routine.
• Be a quick learner who can learn and adapt to new technologies being used within Lloyds and the wider industry whilst bringing those around them on the same journey.
• Understand the importance of quality and hence create and implement approaches, guidelines, principles defined by themselves and their Engineering and Chapter Lead peers.
• Drive the success of Lloyds Engineering Chapters, Communities and Guilds whilst resolving impediments, issues and providing a voice for engineers within teams.
• Continually develop themselves with industry best practice in order to advance the direction of Software Engineering in Lloyds.
• Understands and directs how components and services are developed, tested and progressed within Chapters
• Works with Lab Engineer (& chapter) to deliver business value through sound and fully rounded engineering methods and principles
• Works with Lab Engineer (& chapter) to ensure platforms and software are built consistently with relevant patterns and practices.
• Is accountable for patterns and practices to be communicated across wider Engineering Communities and Guilds.
• Understands and ensures industry best practices are understood by Lab Engineering Community and related business functions.
• Ensures they are a strong contributor to the Engineering Communities & Guilds, helping to build the community and building the capabilities of others
• Leading and mentoring colleagues within Engineering Chapters, Guilds and the team whilst ensuring the appropriate development and coaching in place to ensure the team is successful across the directorate Experience in one or more of the following would be beneficial:
• Back end development - Back-End development makes sure everything works well for our colleague & customers and helps us use data in the right way. It is the coding of scripts in web sites and applications that enable them to interact with servers and databases so that their functionality is delivered to the end user. Typically we use c#, Mainframe (COBOL/JCL), SQL, Oracle/Unix and JAVA/CICS/DB2.
• Business Rules - This development brings to life the various functional aspects of our systems to drive interaction between our colleagues and customers and also support our colleagues in servicing customer needs.
• DevOps - DevOps helps us link our teams operating in agile delivery models with our operations teams who are running live services. It enables us to build a culture of 'own what you build'. Through automation, continuous integration and continuous deployment it helps us deploy new product and services into live in a controlled and safe manner Jira & Confluence
• Agile Delivery - Agile delivery methods encourage teams to focus on collaboration, transparency, continuous improvement and the delivery of the highest value item first. It is useful when going after a complex problem that requires experimentation and continued adaption. Scrum is a key method we use which advocates a series of meetings ( ceremonies) and activities known as sprints to help teams deliver change
Our group values of Keeping it Simple, Making a Difference Together and Pitting Customers First are at the heart of our ethos so a commitment to improvement, combined with adaptability, a love of learning, and a collaborative approach are crucial to us.
At LBG, we're invested in your continual development. That's why we've fostered a collaborative learning environment that supports your career goals and encourages knowledge-sharing. Our inclusive culture offers you flexibility to try new things while helping you build the future you want.
Ultimately, we care much more about the person you're, how you think and approach things, than a list of qualifications on a CV. So if even if you can't say 'yes' to all of the above, but you're self-motivated, passionate about delivering phenomenal solutions and interested in joining us at a critical and exciting time, then we'd love to hear from you... At Lloyds Banking Group, we're driven by a clear purpose; to help Britain prosper. Across the Group, our colleagues are focused on making a difference to customers, businesses and communities. With us you'll have a key role to play in shaping the financial services of the future, whilst the scale and reach of our Group means you'll have many opportunities to learn, grow and develop. We're focused on creating a values-led culture and are committed to building a workforce which reflects the diversity of the customers and communities we serve. Together we're building a truly inclusive workplace where all of our colleagues have the opportunity to make a real difference.