Technology Applications Internal Control Officer-EMEA
Reporting to the Deputy CTO in EMEA, the Technology Applications Internal Control Officer will play a pivotal leadership role in promoting and sustaining a business as usual approach to controls awareness and compliance across the Technology applications development and support teams. This is essential to consistently meet the growing control expectations of clients, regulators, audits and shareholders.
The EMEA Control Officer will act as a virtual team member and trusted advisor for each of the Technology Application Directors, functioning as the main point of contact and oversight for control awareness, control concerns, control enhancement initiatives, and compliance activities. Major Duties:
• Managing first line risk in the IT controls/assessment process
• Keeping abreast of regulatory developments
• Providing technical expertise on regulatory matters
• Enhancing control awareness through ongoing training and communications
• Providing consultative feedback/guidance/assistance on control-related or regulatory topics or concerns
• Facilitating Control Monitoring and Self-Testing program; assist with development of self-testing templates, identify and on-board Control Operators, monitor status of Control Operator self-assessments and self-testing, review results to identify ineffective controls, and work with Control Operators and Control Owners to improve ineffective controls
• Performing detailed reviews of control procedures as needed to identify areas for improvement
• Facilitating control improvement activities by bringing the correct representatives to the table, providing control perspective and recommendations to the relevant teams, and ensuring that agreed upon activities progress as planned
• Assisting the Technology teams being audited with control, testing, or evidence-related questions. Participate in relevant Audit meetings, provide necessary perspective on controls, and report key status items or concerns to management. Assist Technology teams with audit issue responses to ensure feasibility and consistency with overall control strategies
• For more complex or highly visible audits, act as point of contact for audit requests for represented Technology Team. Perform quality assurance review on evidence prior to submission to auditors or examiners.
• Monitor and facilitate fulfilment of audit requests for recurring audit work, such as SSAE16 SOC1 reports
• Monitoring and facilitating open audit issues, including extensions. Proactively identify and escalate audit commitments at risk. Assist audit issue owners with the issue closure process
• Monitoring and facilitating application team compliance with key control processes, including but not limited to: vulnerability management, problem management, SDLC, change management, access reviews and acknowledgements, and disaster recovery plans and testing
• Actively participating in the definition of Control Framework and updates to Control Standards. Serve as authority on Control Standards requirements for Technology teams and facilitate clarifications of intent when Standards are not fully understood
• Reviewing requests for Control Standard deviations prior to submission. Identifying deviation requests that do not contain accurate information or are inappropriate uses of the deviation process. Provide feedback and input on the identified mitigating controls and risk evaluations
• Serving as additional support for Client Response program
The ideal post holder should demonstrate a few of the following qualities:
• Experience in risk management and/or internal controls & auditing
• Strength of character, accompanied by excellent interpersonal skills, to enable the optimum balance to be struck between internal controls, quality, and efficiency, while maintaining the confidence and support of Senior Management (both inside and outside the Department), the user community, the Regulators and Internal Audit
• Good understanding of technology strategy and execution within the Financial Services industry
• Good knowledge of regulatory environment and awareness of market developments
• Experience in IT risks and controls and/or IT audit
• Experience managing application development and support functions
• Ability to think and act independently
• Excellent communication skills
• Strong attention to detail
• Degree in Computer Science or another related discipline
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world's most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service. Working with Us:
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why Forbes ranked us the top employer for Diversity in 2018.
We'd love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world's most admired and ethical companies. Build your career with us and apply today!
• Want to learn more about our company? Visit www.northerntrust.com
• We are a leading global financial institution- Click here to check out our company accolades! https://www.northerntrust.com/united-states/about-us/accolades