CVP, Application Development Manager #79507
- Tampa, FL, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- New York Life Insurance Company
- 17 Feb 19
CVP, Application Development Manager #79507
A career at New York Life offers many opportunities. To be part of a growing and successful business. To reach your full potential, whatever your specialty. Above all, to make a difference in the world by helping people achieve financial security. It's a career journey you can be proud of, and you'll find plenty of support along the way. Our development programs range from skill-building to management training, and we value our diverse and inclusive workplace where all voices can be heard. Recognized as one of Fortune's World's Most Admired Companies, New York Life is committed to improving local communities through a culture of employee giving and service, supported by our Foundation . It all adds up to a rewarding career at a company where doing right by our customers is part of who we are, as a mutual company without outside shareholders. We invite you to bring your talents to New York Life, so we can continue to help families and businesses "Be Good At Life." To learn more, please visit LinkedIn , our Newsroom and the Careers page of www.NewYorkLife.com .
- Enhance the Culture of the Agile Team through continuous improvement, fostering collaboration, raising Enterprise awareness, and building trust and transparency.
- Guide Careers through coaching and mentoring, developing career paths, identifying organizational needs, assist with personal career growth, train and educate. Perform career counseling and personal development.
- Reward Staff through rewards and recognition, communicating the accomplishments of the team and individuals on the team. Participate in defining and administering compensation, benefits, and promotions.
- Manage Staff via planning, staffing, onboarding, offboarding, promoting, transferring and all administrative functions associated with managing staff. Evaluate performance, including team input; provide guidance and corrective actions.
- Work collaboratively with the Team's Product Owner and Scrum Master to identify opportunities for team development and improving Agile ceremonies.
- Work with Product Owner, Scrum master and other managers on the team to skill balance to optimize flow.
- Assist with aligning technology recommendations with business strategies working primarily with the business units.
- Identify budgetary needs for resources, training, hardware and/or software.
- Partners with functional groups within the organization to communicate and clarify business needs.
- Contributes to the development of short-term and long-term business plans and ensures technologies are aligned with business needs.
- Proactively identifies opportunities to apply technologies to business processes.
- Listen and support teams in problem identification, root cause analysis, and decision-making.
- Eliminate impediments and evolve systems and practices in support of Lean-Agile development.
- Help determine skill balance among team.
- Ensures the teams understand and follow the development practices and standard
- Understand, teach, or sponsor technical skills development to support high-quality code, components, systems, and Solutions.
- Defines the iterative engineering practices and standards to incrementally produce quality solutions.
- Foster Communities of Practice (CoPs).
- Develops, motivates and directs staff to create a team environment.
- Enable staff to fulfill project objectives.
- Contributes to the successful delivery of technical solutions aligned to business and architecture roadmap.
- Participate in PI (Program Increment) planning.
- Interact with other Agile teams to ensure a consistent approach to software development.
- Demonstrates skills to partner with multiple key business and technology stakeholders.
- Proactively identifies issues, resolves problems and escalates risks for on-time and under budget delivery.
- Help build Agile Milestones and Roadmaps, as well the plans that enable them. (Partnership with PO role).
- Responsible for expense management (Opportunity Cost, Cost of delay, etc.).
- Helps to shape the engagement when third party vendors are involved.
- Participate in Inspect and Adapt (I&A) workshops. Support teams by helping them remove systemic impediments and implementing continuous improvement backlog items.
- Build partnerships with Suppliers, subcontractors, consultants, partners, and internal and external stakeholders.
- Work with the System Architect/Engineer, Product Managers, and Product Owners to establish clear content authority.
- Continuously assist in aligning teams to the system mission and vision.
Required Skills / Knowledge
- Attract, recruit, and retain capable individuals.
- Excellent in collaborative environment with the ability to lead an Agile team.
- Strong skills for verbal & written communication targeting technical and non-technical audiences
- Flexible, adaptable, and able to autonomously manage multiple tasks in a dynamic, fast-paced, iterative development environment with short turnaround times.
- Self-motivated, passionate for technology, and strong driver for results and continual improvement.
- Possesses a high-level of knowledge and expertise in the business processes, products and services of various business units and how technology is used as decision support within various business units, and the organization.
- Current knowledge of industry and business process trends and ability to apply that knowledge to existing business processes with a focus towards process improvement
- Familiarity with multiple technologies, tools, Agile development methods and systems, and understanding of programming languages
- Familiarity with a variety of development methods, including Agile, and how it applies to own area of work
- Identifies and/or develops business performance measures to track the benefits of a project or service.
- Strong analytical, decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Accuracy and attention to details are required.
Education / Training
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Business Administration, Finance, Math and/or equivalent work experience.
- Experience as a manager, responsible for planning, organizing resources, leading or influencing individuals or groups and controlling processes so that goals can be achieved.
- Ability to make decisions that can have a significant impact on the company.
- Maintains current knowledge of industry and business process trends and can apply that knowledge to existing business processes with a focus towards process improvement.
- Possesses familiarity with multiple technologies, tools, development methods and systems, and understanding of programming languages.
- 5+ years of relevant experience within the insurance and/or financial service industry.
- Experience in working in a team-based Agile development environment
- Demonstrated ability to learn and apply new technologies as the need arise
- Prior experience consulting in the Financial Service or Insurance Industry strongly preferred
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.