Principal Systems Engineer
Who We Are More than 30 years ago, E*TRADE pioneered the online brokerage industry by executing the first-ever electronic individual investor trade. While the landscape of our industry has changed dramatically, our culture of innovation and drive to make online trading accessible to everyone continues to drive us forward. We believe in challenging the status quo, fostering an environment of curiosity and learning, and, above all, putting our customers first.
About the Role The Principal Systems Engineering role bridges the gap between Operations and Engineering. The c andidate fills the role of a Lead O peration s E ngineer and needs to perform the tasks required of both operations and engineering. This role p rovides level II support to the Operations Control Center.
In this role, the Principal Systems Engineer:
- Takes a proactive action to ensure the performance/availability of E*TRADE applications using monitoring, capacity planning, and problem management.
- Leads the troubleshooting of complex systems and application issues , owning problem identification, remediation , and root cause determination.
- Develops and i mplements disaster recovery t asks and procedures to ensure the availability of applications across multiple datacenters.
- Develops and implements tools and scripts to aid in the monitoring, maintenance , DR , and administration of application systems.
- Lead s operational readiness reviews of application systems to ensure application systems are resilient and supportable prior to deployment .
- Ensures operational processes incorporate ITIL disciplines including Asset, Incident, Change, and Problem management .
- Manage the implementation of application and infrastructure servers and ensure processes and tools are put in place to effectively manage and operate them throughout the system lifecycle.
- Proactively m onitor applications and computer systems - take appropriate action to ensure excellent performance and availability.
- Develop automation t o improve manual administration and maintenance of Linux systems
- Perform high-level performance tuning of servers at both the operating system level and application server level for optimal performance.
- Play a lead role in working with other technology staff members to troubleshoot complex problems as they relate to network systems and interoperability with other platforms as appropriate.
- Create and document standard configurations and BCPs to ensure all systems are compliant with both corporate security standards and external audit guidelines.
- Engage in personal professional development to stay current with the demands of the position .
- Participate in off hours support as required .
- Develop and promots standard operating procedures.
- Conduct routine hardware and software audits to ensure compliance with established standards, policies and configuration guidelines. Develop and maintains a comprehensive operating system hardware and software database/library of supporting documentation.
- Produce reports on activities, make suggestions for improvements in the system, and provide technical expertise to all other members of the SA staff as well as the user community.
- Mentor and train junior administration and support resources .
Qualifications Basic Requirements:
- 5 + years experience in supporting and administering Linux/Unix environments.
- 5 + years of multi-tier application support .
- 5 + years of experience in the following areas:
- Complex troubleshooting skills across a m u l ti - tier application .
- Creat e and maintain complex scripts in Perl and ksh .
- Experience supporting DNS, DHCP, NFS, LDAP, Application Load Balancing, and networking.
- Solid technical understanding of Web Tools including Apache, Java, and Tomcat.
- Excellent UNIX command line experience.
- High level of initiative and dedication.
- RHCT Redhat Certified Technician .
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related job experience.
Experience with Cloud operations and supporting enterprise applications in a hybrid cloud environment.
- Outstanding interaction skills, as well as excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to be a team player and willingness to lend a hand with any project.
We offer a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Please visit https://www.etradecareers.com/why-work-at-etrade/employee-benefits/ to learn more about the opportunities.
E*TRADE Financial is an Equal Opportunity Employer who encourages diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.