International Markets Senior Analyst (Chicago) - Market Operations Monitoring and Analysis (MOMA) - Markets Group
At the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, the work we do is consequential and challenging. Our environment encourages growth and diversity. Our employees flourish in a team-oriented atmosphere and are dedicated to the important mission of the New York Fed. What we do:
The Markets Group at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York implements monetary policy on behalf of the Federal Reserve System, provides payments and custody services to foreign central banks, and acts as a fiscal agent for the U.S. Treasury Department. As part of these duties, the Market Operations Monitoring and Analysis Function (MOMA) within the Markets Group executes transactions in the open market and conducts detailed analysis of financial market developments in support of the monetary policy and financial stability decision-making process.
The International Markets (IM) unit is responsible for providing analysis of foreign financial market and policy developments that contributes directly to the work of the Markets Group and the Federal Reserve System more broadly. IM also has many operational responsibilities, including executing U.S. foreign exchange policy operations and foreign exchange customer transactions, managing the U.S. foreign exchange reserves, and managing liquidity swap lines with foreign central banks.
IM is seeking a Senior Analyst on the International Money and Capital Markets (IMCM) staff to support IM’s operations and its in-depth analysis on foreign financial market and policy developments. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated a genuine interest in international financial markets and policy issues, while possessing keen attention to detail and proficiency working with financial market data. Your role as Senior Analyst:
Qualifications: What we are looking for:
- Build, maintain, and improve a variety of tools that support the analytical and operational responsibilities of the International Markets unit
- Develop a detailed understanding of relevant market data sources, including vendor-provided market and macroeconomic data and other data from primary sources. Work toward more fully integrating those data sources with the team’s day-to-day activities.
- Keep up-to-date on international financial market and macroeconomic developments and commentary to enhance contributions to data analysis
- Assist senior staff members with ad-hoc projects related to both operations and market analysis, particularly focusing on data analysis and manipulation
- Support and participate in the execution of the suite of International Markets operations
- Potentially lead analytical work, including authoring notes on market developments
This position requires access to FOMC information, which is limited to "Protected Individuals" as defined in the U.S. federal immigration law. Protected Individuals include, but are not limited to, U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, U.S. permanent residents who are not yet eligible to apply for naturalization and U.S. permanent residents who have applied for naturalization within six months of being eligible to do so. The Federal Reserve Bank of New York is committed to a diverse workforce and to providing equal employment opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, disability, or military service. Why the Fed:
- Undergraduate degree in economics, finance or a related field
- Minimum of 1 - 2 years of relevant experience
- Interest in and familiarity with financial markets and/or international policy issues, including the role of the Federal Reserve
- Strong attention to detail, as well as verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills to interact and collaborate effectively with peers, senior management and external parties
- Ability to accurately and independently perform operational and analytical duties under time pressure and to manage multiple projects
- Ability to take initiative in identifying opportunities for improving analytical or operational tools
- Experience using Bloomberg strongly preferred
- Experience managing and manipulating large, complex data sets using some or all of the following programs or programming languages strongly preferred: Microsoft Excel and Access, SQL, VBA, R, Python, SAS, Matlab
Working at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York positions you at the center of the financial world with a unique perspective on national and international markets and economies. You'll work in an environment with a diverse group of talented professionals to foster and support the safety, soundness, and vitality of our economic and financial systems. It's a challenge that demands the skills of a financial service professional and the intellectual curiosity of an academic—all combined with a passion for public service.
The Federal Reserve Bank of New York is committed to a work environment that respects and fully values the strengths and differences of its people. Working at the New York Fed provides talented professionals the chance to grow their skills at an institution that has served a critical role in the financial system of the United States and the world for over a century. An important component of the Bank’s diversity effort is our partnership with several professional non-profit organizations, including INROADS, JumpStart Advisory Group, NBDC Emerging Leaders, Seizing Every Opportunity, National Black MBA, Out for Undergrad, Prospanica and Reaching Out MBA. Click here to learn more.