State and Local Tax Manager
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley USA
- 26 May 19
State and Local Tax Manager
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries. As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The Finance Division reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 3,000 employees worldwide. Finance protects the Morgan Stanley franchise by serving as guardian of the Firm's books and records, and by contributing to Firm wide risk management and risk reduction. This division maintains relationships with Morgan Stanley's various industry and government regulators, and also serves as the conduit of financial information to the outside investment community. Finance plays a critical role as advisor to Morgan Stanley's various businesses and its senior management team.
The Tax Department reports to the Deputy Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 200 employees worldwide.
The Tax department ensures compliance with income and indirect tax filings, and monitors tax regulations and legislation. In addition, it calculates reports and discloses all of the Firm's tax-related expenses. The department also plans and manages the Firm's domestic and international tax strategies and advises Firm management and business units on business products, location and structure.
There is an immediate opening in Morgan Stanley's Corporate Tax department for a Manager/Senior Manager position in the State and Local Tax Group. The role will involve tax coverage of all state and local jurisdictions with respect to tax return filings as well as tax provision responsibilities. Additionally, the role will entail being responsible for managing the State and local tax system and create process efficiencies and controls. The ideal candidate is a professional with a strong tax or accounting background and an interest in leveraging technology to develop sound processes.
The individual will be responsible for preparation and review of state income tax returns, state apportionment, state income tax provision, audit support and state and local tax analytics for multiple legal entities across different businesses.
Core responsibilities will include:
· Tax compliance management, oversight and the preparation for a high volume of state and local returns including several combined/unitary state tax returns in a time sensitive environment
· Active participation in preparation of state and local tax forms and schedules
· Preparation and review of state tax apportionment across all Morgan Stanley entities
· Preparation and review of unitary and combined state and local tax returns.
· Calculate monthly and quarterly state marginal tax rates and state effective tax rates
· Preparation and review of quarterly tax provisions as part of consolidated tax provision
· Reconciling balance sheet tax accounts
· Tax analysis, planning and analytics
· Tax audit support, including responding to state IDRs
· Working with outside service providers
· Special projects such as Amended Returns (RAR's)
· 4-6 years of state and local tax compliance and provision experience, preferably in a large corporate environment or a large accounting firm
· Strong managerial skills, with a hands on approach
· Strong communication skills
· Strong analytic, organizational and interpersonal skills
· Experience covering complex state tax issues in a real-time environment
· Significant state tax compliance and ASC 740 experience must
· 4 year accounting degree
· CPA,MS or MBA in Tax preferred
· Financial services industry experience preferable, but not required