Now it's your time to join the #1 bank in the Middle East and one of the most prestigious financial companies in the region. Shaking up the world of banking requires a lot of smarts and skill. We're looking for the brightest and best to help us reach our goals and we'll also help you reach yours. Your success is our success as you grow stronger in your career. Join us and leave a legacy of your own, as a pioneer in both the company and the industry. Job Description
The role holder reports to the Group General Counsel and is responsible for managing legal risk associated with Litigation by and against FAB Group and related matters in the UAE and internationally in accordance with FAB legal policies and procedures and the instructions of the Group General Counsel. The role holder will primarily work autonomously, but should seek the Group General Counsel's input on unusual situations, complex matters, and issues which may pose significant legal, financial and/or reputational risk to the FAB Group.
• Provides legal advice and support to the business while keeping in mind FAB's strategic and business objectives.
• Provides direction and guidance to facilitate FAB's compliance with all applicable international and domestic laws, rules and regulations.
• Collaborates with the Group General Counsel to establish, disseminate and implement the FAB Group legal policies.
• Completes legal tasks and projects in a timely manner and responds to legal queries assigned to him/her by the Group General Counsel.
• Supports FAB subsidiaries and international branches by providing general legal oversight on legal risks associated with their products and services.
• Assists the Group General Counsel in developing the strategy for the Legal Department and for the reporting units, in line with the stated FAB Group priorities.
• Assists the Group General Counsel in supporting the FAB Group with mergers and acquisitions of other businesses or stakes in any other business and/or establishing of subsidiaries, entering into joint ventures or setting up SPVs, branches and representative offices worldwide.
• Supervises and is responsible for the adequate management of litigation or disputes between the business and its customers in the UAE and abroad.
• Reports relevant litigation matters to the Group General Counsel and provides updates to the relevant stakeholders.
Legal Documentation and Review
• Drafts, reviews and negotiates contracts and other legal documents in order to maximise the FAB Group's legal protections whilst simultaneously minimising risks.
• Produces and regularly updates standardised legal agreements, contracts and standard terms and conditions for FAB in compliance with international best practices and applicable legal requirements.
• Assists the business in launching new products and conducts legal and regulatory due diligence on such products, including identifying risks and mitigants in all applicable geographies.
Knowledge of External Environment
• Stays abreast of new laws and regulations through continuous legal education, attending professional conferences, and participating in professional associations.
• Provides updates to the FAB Group senior business persons on new legislation and regulatory developments that may have an impact on the FAB Group and advises FAB on how to comply with such new legislation and regulations.
• Works closely and develops a positive professional relationship with the other members of the legal function and shares legal knowledge and best practices with legal colleagues, including providing formal and informal training sessions at the direction of the Group General Counsel.
• Liaises with the concerned external authorities such as courts and law firms to ensure effective resolution of all legal matters affecting FAB.
Policies and Processes
• Develop, streamline and implement policies and processes to better manage legal risk in the concerned business or jurisdiction.
Learning and Development
• Functions as a subject matter expert and provides input on learning and development initiatives including training content to ensure value addition and relevance.
MIS and Reporting
• Reports on legal risk associated with FAB the relevantbusiness in the UAE and abroad.
People Management Responsibilities
• Defines goals and key performance indicators for own reports and ensures effective implementation of the FAB performance management process.
• Develops talent within the team by providing guidance and coaching to achieve the defined goals.
• Manages the Litigation Team in Group Legal
• Is responsible for preparing reports on litigation for the Group General Counsel to share with relevant senior management
• Works with the Group General Counsel to define litigation strategy as a whole and for specific cases
• Continually seeks to further improve litigation reporting and innovative ways to unlock and share the lessons to be learned from litigation.
• Manages the Litigation Panel and the law firms on the panel to ensure the quality service provided to FAB is of the highest standard.
FRAMEWORKS, BOUNDARIES, & DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY:
• Functions within the framework and boundaries of Group policies as well as overall organisational and governance frameworks.
• Authorised to take decisions as per the approved authorisation matrix. Qualifications
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor's degree in law from an internationally recognised university.
• Master's degree in law is preferred.
• Qualified as a lawyer in the U.A.E.
• UAE National
• Excellent English language skills.
• Minimum of 5 years' experience in a reputed bank or law firm.