Director, Compliance, FM, DIFC & Middle East
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates Dubai Dubai AE
- Permanent, Full time
- Standard Chartered Bank
- 13 Mar 18 2018-03-13
Leading the way in International Banking. With more than 86,000 employees in 68 countries, and a 150-year history in some of the world's most dynamic markets, Standard Chartered is listed on the London and Hong Kong Stock Exchanges as well as the Bombay and National Stock Exchanges in India. See our history We have an opportunity for a Director, Compliance, Financial Markets, DIFC and Middle East.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Regional FM Compliance team to deliver global FM initiatives and strategic compliance deliverables to DIFC, Iraq and Jordan and providing support to the AME region.
- Support the Head of Compliance, FM, AME in promoting, leading and managing the culture and practice of compliance with compliance standards (including conducting business to high ethical principles) within FM businesses and embed a Here for Good culture and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Link effectively with other Compliance and FCC colleagues for programmes covering conflicts of interest, appropriateness & suitability and other key areas applicable to FM businesses.
- Actively collaborate with local country Compliance teams.
Business Partner and Independent Guardian
- Business Advisory
- Compliance contact for the FM businesses working with the FM AME Compliance team in helping the business to adhere to the bank's control framework and overall strategic intent.
- Provide assistance on advising and overseeing the regulatory, conduct and reputational risk for one of the largest and most dynamic FM businesses in the region.
- Provide support to FM businesses in delivering FM products, transactions and new business initiatives relevant to clients in an appropriate and compliant manner (in terms of regulatory and internal requirements), promoting the culture and practice of global standards, while managing local requirements.
- Play an active role collaborating with FCC to manage financial crime risk, and uphold the Bank's requirements on CDD standards and processes. Concentrate in particular on partnerships to solve blockages, assess (and mitigate) client impact and improve FM business behaviours.
- Drive FM Compliance contribution to regional BORF's.
- Provide support on key Bank and Compliance initiatives such as Conduct, training of FM businesses, communications, client confidentiality, business restructurings and other initiatives. Compliance induction training to new joiners and maintaining training plans and records.
- Work with FM businesses, local compliance teams, ITO and other relevant functions in managing outsourcing plans.
- Work with the FM Compliance team to ensure FM businesses are aware of and in compliance with current relevant laws and regulations. Work with the business on a 'risk based' approach to the monitoring of their activities from a regulatory perspective.
- Review vanilla and complex transactions and new products for regulatory, reputational and conduct risks.
- Policies & Procedures, Risk Framework and Monitoring
- Track, manage and socialize issues affecting FM Compliance that have been identified by Group Internal Audit, or through Peer Reviews and Compliance Monitoring Reviews (CMR's).
- Establish close working relationships with relevant BORM's, SORO's, Trade Surveillance and E-Comm Surveillance teams.
- Identify trends in E-Comm and Trade Surveillance and establish training needs, escalation, and remediation action where necessary.
- Assist in conducting desk/ thematic and peer reviews and maintain records/ trackers.
- Support the CIB & CB Compliance risk management framework for the FM business - encompassing anticipatory risk identification/mitigation, training, monitoring and advice on FM businesses.
- Support Regional Compliance Monitoring Managers to help ensure that local risks associated with the FM businesses are reflected in country risk assessments, with CMRs established where necessary.
- Assist in ensuring global standards are understood and implemented, with any identified exceptions, or need for more/less stringent standards escalated for joint decision-making.
- Work collaboratively with local compliance teams in effectively and efficiently reviewing the Obligations Register with respect to regulations applicable to FM businesses.
- Liaise with Group Internal Audit function to ensure that compliance weaknesses identified as a result of GIA audits relating to FM business activities are followed up.
- Assist in preparing for internal audits and regulatory visits, including collation of data, testing, raising awareness etc.
- Review the impact of new and amended regulations on FM businesses and transactions.
- Issues Management and Escalation
- Maintain/ track FM Compliance issues, working with regional team to ensure action items are followed up on in a timely manner.
- Work with the Head of Compliance, FM, AME to ensure two way flow of information and appropriate escalation of issues.
- In the event of regulatory or policy breaches, or where risk tolerances have been breached, in relation to FM support the Head of Compliance, FM, AME to ensure Business and Compliance management are informed and that actions are taken quickly to remediate and/or activities are ceased.
- Ensure close coordination with Legal for Compliance related input into complaints, litigation and/or investigation cases concerning FM businesses.
The successful applicant will ideally have the following skills:
· Relevant experience in financial services function (5+ years), with a strong Compliance background in Financial Markets / investment banking environment.
· A core grasp of and practical experience with financial markets products (notably foreign exchange, credit, rates, commodities and derivatives) and the sales and transactional activities of the FM business, including the business operating models and key risks.
· Possesses core technical knowledge in laws and regulations applicable to FM businesses.
· Track record of good judgment enabling the provision of sound advice in difficult areas of law, regulation and practice and the proactive management of legal, regulatory and reputational risks.
· Exposure to a variety of cross border situations would be beneficial.
· Experience in Compliance and Regulatory Risk Management in an advisory capacity.
· Knowledge in risk identification, risk assessment, controls development, training, monitoring and reporting.
· Able to prioritise and manage multiple tasks in a high pressure environment.
· Core problem solving and solution finding skills.
· Ability to carry out data mining and trend analysis.
Communications and client management skills
· Presentation skills - one-to-one, small group, large group.
· Core teamwork skills.
· Ability to participate in discussions around compliance problems with relevant stakeholders.
· Ability to assist in driving the compliance agenda with senior business leaders.
· Ability to partner actively with the Country and Regional Compliance teams.