The M&A Director heads the entire M&A department and oversees all activities of all junior personnel. The M&A Director performs his functions with a focus on delivering value to the business through integration readiness assessments, developing integration strategies, target due diligence, and post-close integration management. The M&A Director is an integral part of the department and helps in shaping the departmental culture and growing departmental performance.
The M&A Director leads the M&A department by enabling team building, strategy development, practice development, and so forth. The M&A Director’s duties encompass the entire merger and acquisition life-cycle with a strong mix of operational and strategic aspects across workforce planning, learning and development, talent management, performance management, organizational change, on boarding, engagement, and reward.
- The M&A Director must have a master’s degree (Phd degree) in Business, Accounting, Finance, Economics or any other related field. An equivalent of the same in working experience is also acceptable.
- A candidate for this position must have had at least 10 years in working experience in an M&A capacity within a fast-paced, highly competitive, and dynamic environment, preferably working as an M&A Vice President. The candidate will demonstrate an in-depth operational and valuation financial modeling experience and an ability to generate new business through the exploitation of existent relationships as well as the development of new relationships in a business’s industry.
- The M&A Director will also have experience making effective decisions through the analysis of information and proficient deal analysis, negotiation and execution. The candidate will have extensive knowledge of accrual accounting concepts, corporate finance, and will also have experience managing a large M&A team through the entire life-cycle of a merger or acquisition transaction. A suitable candidate will also have had a vast and successful track record of managing transactions, transaction valuation, and strategic transaction analyses.
- Communication skills, both in written and verbal form, are an essential skill for the Director M&A. These skills will be essential for the effective execution of his leadership and supervisory duties, where the clarity of his communications to junior M&A personnel will be a significant determinant of the department’s efficiency and performance.
- Communication skills will be especially important in the Director M&A’s collaborative capacity and more so, for his collaborations with external and prospective business leadership, which will play an important part in the success or failure of impending transactions. The Director M&A will also be required to draft regular reports and make presentations to the business’s executives, stakeholders, and collaborating personnel for final informed decision-making. These reports must therefore, be clear, easy to understand, convincing, exhaustive, engaging, and tailored to suit various audiences.
- A candidate for this position must be highly proficient in the use of Ms Word, Ms Excel, and PowerPoint, necessary for the creation of visually and verbally engaging reports and presentations for the business’s executives, stakeholders, and collaborating personnel. The candidate must also demonstrate proficiency in at least one SaaS software such as Workday or HRMS.
- The M&A Director must also have a passion for research and analysis, being highly skilled in efficiently analyzing large data quantities and driving financial modeling and due diligence. He will be able to process raw information and data, translating this into actionable insights for informed decision-making within the department.
- The M&A Director must also have certain personal attributes that will make him a perfect fit of the position. He will be flexible, open, and welcoming to change, have an ability to work in a constantly evolving environment, have an executive presence, have a positive can-do attitude, be self-motivated and proactive, and have an ability to work comfortably with collaborative personnel and senior business executives and stakeholders.
- The M&A Director will also have an ability to work on multiple simultaneous projects and meet aggressive deadlines, and have an ability to remain calm in uncertain and stressful times, inspiring the same in his team, collaborative personnel, and senior leadership of prospecting businesses.
- The M&A Director is a representative of the business and, as such, he must be a confident, likable, and approachable individual who brings out a similar image of the business. He will be capable of forming strong, lasting, and meaningful relationships with others. His strong people skills will make it easy for prospecting business leadership to trust his insights and, therefore, increasing the chances of success of merger and acquisition initiatives.
- These skills will also inspire trust and confidence internally, with the business’s executives and stakeholders, junior M&A personnel, and senior business development leadership giving more credit to his insights, judgments, and directives.