Job Purpose: Assist in origination of new clients, manage risk and ensure Shariah compliance and improve ROE of client portfolio.
Job Context (Circumstances & environment surrounding the job):
As Islamic banking RM, the job entails managing existing business and originating new Islamic business while maintaining / improving the credit quality of the portfolio.
As an Islamic RM, the job also entails setting the right priorities for client origination and retention and ensuring focused approach during the year on priorities set by senior management. The external environment changes quite rapidly, and in accordance with that the type of business that needs to be booked can also change. The job holder is required to remain updated and abreast with developments in the market, discuss and agree changing strategies with the senior management and ensure proper implementation.
RM is also responsible for maintaining timeliness and quality of credit applications and reviews. Also ensure an effective and regular client calling pattern is maintained.
RM identifies cross sell of other products, churn of assets, generation of ancillary business, and focus on liability generation are important aspects of marketing.
Principal Responsibilities, Accountabilities and Deliverables of Role:
- Responsible for driving Islamic wholesale banking business in DIFC
- Manage the UAE Islamic credit portfolio assigned to him/her
- Prepare new and renewal CAFs and other internal approvals required to meet all credit portfolio management requirements
- Develop and implement an effective calling plan
- Joint calls with coverage seniors and product teams for effective sales of Islamic products and cross-sell of other products to Islamic clients
- Help negotiate mandate letters and legal contacts with clients to ensure bank's interest are protected
- Assist in structuring of complex transactions to meet commercial as well as Shariah requirements
- Monitor the risk and profitability of client portfolio against the targets
- Effectively communicate credit/management decisions to clients balancing relationship aspects and bank's interests
- Develop and implement effective marketing of liability products to target market (TM) clients. Also ensure cross sell of other products to existing and TM clients
- Align and implement the risk appetite with the guidelines set by the bank
- Work with legal counsel (external /internal) & Sharia Compliance Office to ensure that structures offered and documentation executed with customers meets bank policies & AAOIFI Standards
- Prepare regular updates on portfolio clearly identifying vulnerabilities. Present to senior management on a regular basis, at least quarterly or more frequently as required
- Identification of early warning signals in the client portfolio. Regular analysis and updates with reference to identification of vulnerabilities
- Clearly understand AAOIFI Standards and bank’s credit and Shariah policies
- Keep effective and up to date A/C plans for existing and TM names
- Clearly understand client segmentation
- Job holder is required to be completely abreast and updated with banking markets of UAE in particular and GCC in general. Should have in-depth understanding of loan products, treasury products, trade finance, and should have knowledge or experience of Shariah credit structures. Should have sufficient knowledge of bank’s Compliance & Risk policies, AAOIFI standards, Islamic banking products as well as customers.
Education / Certifications
- 7-10 years in corporate banking / financial institutions
- Extrovert, comfortable in dealing with people, knows how to manage relationships on a long term basis. Should have ability to adapt to the rapidly changing external environment. Should be able to represent bank professionally at internal and external forums.