About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base. The Role Responsibilities Strategy
- Possesses technical knowledge of the legal landscape for Financial Markets ("FM") with a particular focus on Credit, Structured Credit, Structured Products, Credit linked products, Structured Notes and other bespoke credit solutions.
- Lead and take responsibility for providing legal advice, guidance and support to business units and stakeholders on all legal matters relating to FM.
- Support Group strategic initiatives to reduce Cost of Funds (CoF)/attract dollar liabilities.
- Maintain close relationships with stakeholders including the Regional General Counsels and FM Business Heads to provide them with relevant legal advice, guidance and support.
- Promote a culture and practice of compliance with legal standards (including conducting business within legal and regulatory requirements, with high ethical standards).
- Lead through example and build an appropriate culture and values. Set an appropriate tone and expectations for the FM Legal team in Africa and Middle East (AME) as regards good conduct.
- Help to embed and implement global legal standards for FM taking into account regional/country issues.
- Help to ensure that regulatory reform/changes are appropriately assessed within Legal from a FM impact perspective and that any regulatory reform is appropriately escalated and managed.
- Member of a team providing FM related legal advice with respect to new products and FM initiatives.
- Provide transactional support to FM business having regard to Product Programme Authorisation. (PPG)/Country Addenda (CA) parameters and, if applicable, the Group's minimum standards and guidance for the relevant product(s) or service(s).
- Act as lead lawyer for complex multi-jurisdictional FM transactions across various asset classes including rates, fx, credit, Islamic, commodities, collaborating with the relevant regional and/or country Head of Legal to provide seamless support to the business.
- Work with Product and other stakeholders to structure and define parameters for new products and initiatives and develop template legal documentation.
- Awareness and understanding of the wider business, economic and market environment in which the Group operates.
- Drive improvements to documentation processes and develop template legal documentation for FM businesses that are fit for purpose and promote standardisation across the Group.
- Implement global standards and initiatives for legal matters in relation to all FM businesses, including the Bank's position on departures from standard clauses, and applying a consistent approach to management of issues, in particular, to matters relating to regulatory reform.
- Support and oversee internal legal, external legal counsels and business teams supporting/working within FM, and drive operational efficiencies/improvements.
- Promote clarity and understanding of FM documentation within the FM teams and if required, to conduct relevant training to FM teams around documentation.
- Identify and find ways to reduce legal and reputational risk.
- Control the quality and cost of legal services provided by external law firms.
- Be aware of and understand the wider business, economic and market environment in which the Group operates.
- Interface with country legal and compliance on local regulatory issues.
People and Talent
- Assist in procuring that appropriate forms of legal documents are used for transactions with adequate protections and remedies for the Bank, and help management determine that transactions are valid and enforceable under the laws of all relevant jurisdictions.
- Act as Risk Control Owner Delegate under the Group's Risk Management Framework for Financial Markets processes where Legal is the second line Risk Control Owner for FM in the Region (pe-dealing/misselling).
- Provide leadership and coaching to more junior members of the team to enable them to be highly engaged and perform to their potential.
- Promote best practice and lessons learned across the FM Legal team, especially in relation to legal risks and compliance with relevant regulations and internal policies/procedures.
- Communicate with stakeholders on a regular basis to resolve challenges and road blocks with a client centric approach.
- Act as Risk Control Owner for Legal Enforceability and Liability Risks arising in relation to FM transactions, as outlined under the Operational Risk Framework and associated policies and procedures. Including but not limited to the following, if relevant:
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework in which the Bank operates and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to role.
- Operationalization of OTC regulatory agenda for FM business
- Assist the implementation of the Bank's OTC regulatory reform programme for FM through training.
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Head, Legal Financial Markets, AME
- Regional General Counsels, AME
- FM LMT
- Regional Business Heads of FM Sales and Structuring and teams
- Regional FM Business COOs and team
- TCRM, Compliance, Governance
- Regional MANCO
- FM PGC Representatives
- Perform other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures
- Work with Senior Management to develop and roll out approved strategy
- Support a culturally diverse team across functions and geographies
- Keen awareness and understanding of seamless co-ordination at Regional and Product level
- Maintain high standards of professional integrity
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages . We welcome conversations on flexible working.